What did you find when you adjusted your valves.

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Well, I made another post a minute ago so, while I'm logged in, I'll post another question:

For those of you who do your own work (like myself), I'd like to know what you found when you checked valve clearances at 20,000 (or 10,000 miles if you went by the incorrect recommendation in the owner's manual.)

I'm just curious. Did you find your valve clearances to be out of spec? Too tight or too loose? Just a rough indication of what you found would be appreciated. I'll probably be hitting 20,000 this year and I'm just curious about what others have found when they checked their clearances. I seem to remember reading that some Triumph certified technicians usually found the valve clearances to still be in spec at 20,000.

Well, I made another post a minute ago so, while I'm logged in, I'll post another question:

For those of you who do your own work (like myself), I'd like to know what you found when you checked valve clearances at 20,000 (or 10,000 miles if you went by the incorrect recommendation in the owner's manual.)

I'm just curious. Did you find your valve clearances to be out of spec? Too tight or too loose? Just a rough indication of what you found would be appreciated. I'll probably be hitting 20,000 this year and I'm just curious about what others have found when they checked their clearances. I seem to remember reading that some Triumph certified technicians usually found the valve clearances to still be in spec at 20,000.

That was my case on a 2007 Classic the first time the VCs were checked @ 30K. Get a new head cover gasket.

I'm trying to recall how it went with my 07 Classic but I believe one valve was slightly out at 10k with a shim replaced. I recall that I skipped the 20k valve adjust with the mech finding all in spec on the 30k.

25,000 had i believe 4 out of spec.Took my time and did a really good job. No valve cover leak and now setting at 38,000 miles. Plus we got the cams in right. Some folks who take there bikes to the dealers are not as lucky. Had previous experience with bucket shims (owned a Bonneville) Rocket is a bit different but same principal. It is a acquired touch with the feeler gauges. Knowing the drag is the secret to doing it correctly. Most shops just go with the no-go gauge and the go-gauge. Sloppy. No thank you. :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

My 14 Roadster was a touch out on a couple but we shimmed them, replaced the gasket and all was fine.
Did wonder if having the bike on the dyno may have contributed to the wear as they pull big revs when they do that??

The first recommended check @ 20,000 you will probably find a couple have went tight as the valves get to know the seats. After that they are pretty stable, but still need to be checked at the recommended intervals.

Mine was then and now at 55K, I amm just starting to hear a slight ticking.
Re-checking clearance once again is now in order for me . . .

The valve check needs to be done at the prescribed intervals. Sometimes a valve out of adjustment will not make a ticking noise. (EXHAUST)

Back