Wet traction, soft compound, speed rated front tires ..

HellFire

Legend
Motorcycle Superstore is having a sale on Dunlop D404's (among others) for $90.99 in 150/80-17 for the front.
I'm about to pull the trigger on one unless anyone can suggest another. It will be mounted with a darkside Eagle F1 rear tire. I'm after soft compound with excellent wet traction, H rating minimum.
My old Metz is wearing on the sides rather than down the center, I'm sure it's from highway on-ramps and cornering such a heavy bike. The Metzlers suck on wet pavement, had more than my share of scary moments and blame most of them on Metzler. Once again our tire selection is limited by Triumphs poor choice of wheel diameter, I'd prefer a Michelin for the front but they dont make our size.

If you already have a D404 please let me know how you like it ....
If you have something else, give your opinion on how it does in wet weather and overall handling. I'm still open to other options.

No opinions on the Dunlop? I thought there were at least a few out there who had a 404.

I run a Dunlop Elite 3. Thus far Ive gotten 4k more than the original Metz and I expect not less than another 5k. I believe 24k or perhaps it was 31k on a Dunlop E3 was announced hereon.

As for soft compound, I dont believe they get much softer than a Metz (touring tire).

I too realized side cupping on the Metz front. In addition, I run dyna-beads (f&r) and the dyna-beads may be a major factor in the high mileage Ive gotten thus far (I hope so), in addition to the high mileage rating of the E3.

I run a 280 wear rated Cooper Zeon 2XS on the rear. Its too soft. Ive gotten 6k more on the Cooper than either of the previous two Metz; but its ready for a change up, to an Eagle I believe.

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. I'm on my 2nd D404 and have been very happy with it. I got about 12k out of the first one but changed it early since I was going on a long trip.

I am running the 404 with the Eagle F1 and love the combination. Got 13k on first one and have 8k on this one, to one Eagle. I have been on 4 trips of over 2500 miles and 2 trips of 1k and have been caught in some heavy down pours, while pulling a trailer, and had no problems of hydroplaning or stopping.

I am running the 404 with the Eagle F1 and love the combination. Got 13k on first one and have 8k on this one, to one Eagle. I have been on 4 trips of over 2500 miles and 2 trips of 1k and have been caught in some heavy down pours, while pulling a trailer, and had no problems of hydroplaning or stopping.
Eagle 245/50 ? any clearance problems?

hellfire the toyo 245/55 (28-30 psi) fits close but no rubing handles big angle better than metz before scrapping the pegs changes direction faster, amazing in the wet

Back