Sonny does it the right way... I've done it the easier way (in my opinion) by fabricating a "U" shaped tool to keep the valve depressed as the cam is rotated in order to remove the shim without pulling cams. The trick is in how well the home made tool works for you. Read this thread Valve shim removal tool

Now that I think about it, the time needed to remove the cams would probably be less than the amount of time I spent fiddling around making a tool. Eventually I will need to purchase or make a Cam Timing tool.

Sonny does it the right way... I've done it the easier way (in my opinion) by fabricating a "U" shaped tool to keep the valve depressed as the cam is rotated in order to remove the shim without pulling cams. The trick is in how well the home made tool works for you. Read this thread Valve shim removal tool

Now that I think about it, the time needed to remove the cams would probably be less than the amount of time I spent fiddling around making a tool. Eventually I will need to purchase or make a Cam Timing tool.
I have to agree Sir, I think I’ll check online or at the dealership and see if I can order the alignment tool. I’m not in a rush to get the job done. I must have read the manual 50 times with respect to how to set the timing, doesn’t look difficult but when you’ve never done it before it creates apprehension. Anyway, I own two rockets, no plans of getting rid of them, time to learn.

I have to agree Sir, I think I’ll check online or at the dealership and see if I can order the alignment tool. I’m not in a rush to get the job done. I must have read the manual 50 times with respect to how to set the timing, doesn’t look difficult but when you’ve never done it before it creates apprehension. Anyway, I own two rockets, no plans of getting rid of them, time to learn.
Someone on this site was selling home made cam jigs a lot cheaper than the Triumph jig last year.

Someone on this site was selling home made cam jigs a lot cheaper than the Triumph jig last year.
Thanks, I’ll do a search and see if I can find it. There is a YouTube video I found also where a fella was timing a R3 engine and he made his own jig

Okay I’m in the process of ordering the cam alignment tool, thank you for the advice. That said as I wait I have lots of time to read.
quick question, if I understand what everyone is saying, clearances get tighter with use, if that’s the case would you change a shim where the clearance is coming in at 0.0085 (21mm) when the tolerance is 0.008 (exhaust) or do you wait? I’m a little confused, folks are saying err on the loose side for the exhaust valves. If I move up one size I’ll probably be at .006 (.15mm)
Thoughts?

Back