Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
So I've been working on a valve shim job with the help of the tool designed by @Rocket Scientist and loaned to me by @1olbull . I've got all of my relevant shims measured and the measurements are as follows:
PXL_20201009_142748018.jpg

My question now is should I be shooting for 0.10mm clearance or 0.15mm clearance on intake? On the exhaust, should I be shooting for 0.15mm or 0.20mm clearance? My assumption at first blush is that I should be trying to get the clearance as small as possible on both intake and exhaust shims, but I'm not sure that is the case.

What I've found with the Rocket is that the exhaust clearances tend to increase, the intake close. With that in mind, I'd set the exhaust to the minimum and intake to maximum clearance as a guide.

Not sure why exhaust clearances get greater.... usually valve face and seats get hammered causing the valve stem to move closer to the cam/rocker.

Basically what @Idaho Red Rocket 3 said, shoot for the middle and err on the loose side if you can't hit it exactly. Be sure to check after installing the replacements. In my experience, despite triple checking measurements, etc. you may find one or more is still off after you rotate through a few turns. It's a mystery...

Hey fellas, my turn, lol.
I know that this thread is from October, thought it would be better to carry it on rather start a new one.

just finished checking valve clearances on a 17 R3T, 32400km.
Intake side seems good, exhaust side I have three slightly over. The best I could do with my feeler gauges is .0085 or .21mm. .009 doesn’t go and I get resistance at .0085.
This is my first time doing this so before I go to the next step is I need to fabricate the removal tool. Then, correct me if I’m wrong, the only way I’ll know what size of shim I need is when I remove it and measure it.. correct?
As far as I can understand from the threads above is shoot for the middle of the road.

Attachments

• 3DB09BF1-32A2-4232-B48E-DBA2FA3A5E43.jpeg
    3DB09BF1-32A2-4232-B48E-DBA2FA3A5E43.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 16
Back