Valve Cover Gasket

Rick Morris

"Have you seen Junior's grades?"
Ride
2011 Rocket III Roadster
I know there has been several threads regarding leaking valve cover gaskets. A few months ago I noticed the gasket at the right front side behind the number 1 valve cover bolt had popped out or was bulging out. I have put about 1200 miles on the bike since I noticed this. I did not see any oil leaking but decided to change the gasket anyhow. After taking
11 AA IMG_1818.JPG
the cover off and inspecting the gasket, it appears that only a small portion of the gasket had bulged out. However the inside of the gasket had turned into the rocker cover as you can see in the photo. However it did not leak oil. I am not sure it would have leaked. So I guess the moral of the story here is; if you notice the rocker cover gasket bulging out and it is not leaking oil, I wouldn't sweat it until it is leaking.

I know there has been several threads regarding leaking valve cover gaskets. A few months ago I noticed the gasket at the right front side behind the number 1 valve cover bolt had popped out or was bulging out. I have put about 1200 miles on the bike since I noticed this. I did not see any oil leaking but decided to change the gasket anyhow. After taking
11 AA IMG_1818.JPG
the cover off and inspecting the gasket, it appears that only a small portion of the gasket had bulged out. However the inside of the gasket had turned into the rocker cover as you can see in the photo. However it did not leak oil. I am not sure it would have leaked. So I guess the moral of the story here is; if you notice the rocker cover gasket bulging out and it is not leaking oil, I wouldn't sweat it until it is leaking.
good advice of course mine in time always crimps then a slight leak after that

This is a known place for the gasket to fail- I would smear Silas flex polyurethane sealant on both sides of the gasket about 2inches long in that area to stop this from happening again

Back