First Valve Check for Fiona, my '14 R3T...

So... I just took my first ride after bringing her home from the dealer. My father-in-law I and took a nice 100 mile trip to Sells, AZ and back. Unfortunately, she smells STRONG of fuel that doesn't dissipate like sticking your nose in a gas can. Strange I see no leak or wetness... just the strong odor. I'll call the dealer on Tuesday...but wow... she never smelled like this. It's like leaving an open can of gas in your garage. It seems to be coming from the left side. A problem with the fuel breather? Throttle bodies?? ARGH...

She's definitely sitting outside uncovered until I get this resolved. I don't want the fumes to build up under the cover.

-MIG
Of course it could be many things, but if they changed the fuel filter (although you didn't say they did) you could have a slight leak at the gasket. Easy enough to pop the hood on those 2.3s for a look see.

Of course it could be many things, but if they changed the fuel filter (although you didn't say they did) you could have a slight leak at the gasket. Easy enough to pop the hood on those 2.3s for a look see.
Good to know. Yes, they changed the fuel filter.
Thanks!
-MIG

One strange thing is, to aid the mechanic, I intentionally left the fuel level low. When I brought her home I didn't stop for gas. WIth work and the weather, she sat in the garage for 4 weeks with no raw gas smell. When I filled up yesterday, she took just over 4.5 gallons. This means there was about half-gallon or so left in the tank. Rode 100 miles and now we have the problem. Coincidence??
-MIG

FIXED! It was a leaking fuel pump seal. I must say, after 4 decades dealing with dealerships when I've had an issue, from the initial phone call to dropping her off at my earliest and picking her up this morning... it's a been a smooth and professional experience. Yes they screwed up (and hopefully the technician get's their a$$ handed to them as that's how you learn sometimes...) but folks make mistakes. They owned it and made it right. So they have left a positive impression and will see my business in the future. In a strange twist, on a personal level I got to know the service manager a little bit better. Good Dude!
-MIG

Last edited:
FIXED! It was a leaking fuel pump seal. I must say, after 4 decades dealing with dealerships when I've had an issue, from the initial phone call to dropping her off at my earliest and picking her up this morning... it's a been a smooth and professional experience. Yes they screwed up (and hopefully the technician get's their a$$ handed to them as that's how you learn sometimes...) but folks make mistakes. They owned it and made it right. So they have left a positive impression and will see my business in the future. In a strange twist, on a personal level I got to know the service manager a little bit better. Good Dude!
-MIG

was that the tucson dealership?

-MIG

I've always reused that gasket, but been meticulous about tightening the nuts in order and to spec. Of course they probably replaced the gasket/seal and he may have torqued it properly- as you said, "folks make mistakes" and also "stuff" happens. They sound like a good outfit. Glad that you got it resolved.

Back