Valve adjustment needed??

mexican

Living Legend
Ride
2015 Rocket X
Hello guys, need some help;
I now have 19,000 miles on my rocket, my dealership said the valves are not ready to adjust yet but could'nt tell me the intervals or even when to do it the first time, lost my owners manual:(

ANY BODY???

If I remember correctly, the valves need to be checked at 10,000 30,000 50,000 miles... etc...
I read somewhere that they may not be doing the 10,000 mile check anymore, I can't remember where I read it...

Thanks JD, the guy that knows all that stuff wasnt there today, i got to thinking, NC trip will put me at 22,000or so , dont want to take any chances;

According to my brother in-law (A Harley Tech), you'll know when they need adjusting... he didn't elaborate

I just had my 10,000 mile service done. The service guy there said he hardly ever sees any R3's that needs valve adjustments at 10,000 miles. I'll have them checked again at the 20,000 service.

If you can hear the valves clack over the ticking of the injectors, then it's time.

From memory the valves (over time) hammer into the seats and decrease the gap which will reduce any noise. The problem is that eventually the valves wont close properly and will start to burn. I have brought a electronic stethoscope and will listen to each valve to see if they are getting quieter. I may even record the sounds and others (TDU, cam chain ect) from the engine then compare them on Cubase as wave forms. This way I hope to predict any problems and save money.

Valve adjustments

I have done valve adjustments on my cars ( honda 4 cylinders) and my inboard boat engine.
Is the valve adjustment just as easy to do on a R3 ?
I would prefer to do it myself if I can.

From memory the valves (over time) hammer into the seats and decrease the gap which will reduce any noise. The problem is that eventually the valves wont close properly and will start to burn. I have brought a electronic stethoscope and will listen to each valve to see if they are getting quieter. I may even record the sounds and others (TDU, cam chain ect) from the engine then compare them on Cubase as wave forms. This way I hope to predict any problems and save money.
The only time I've heard of that kind of thing happening was the exhaust valves, and that was material eaten away from running lean. (The pistons aren't too pretty either under those conditions)

Back