Usable Fuel Tank Capacity

Old post of mine about 8 weeks ago.

Well today was the day I found out exactly how much fuel the rocket holds.

Checked the trip meter this morning and thought should I tip some fuel out of the can into the bike had 230kms of around town ridding.

I'll be right will get some on the way home from work.

Well thats great get to work and arrange to meet up with a guy to show him my Rocket. Which he really liked it he said to me just ride up the hill 15 degree incline and ride back past his house. Loose grit all over the place and a bloody good hair pin bend not Too far past his place.

So heading home bike seems to be missing and farting every now and again.

By this time I had riden past 3 or more gas stations.

At a stop light I rode up to the front in the cycle lane (don't judge me) I'm on a cycle with a very large motor. :thumbsdown:

anyhow light goes green I gas it and the bike dies. #hit hit the starter and roar off across the intersection and then it really plays up then I realized that I was going to run out of gas.

#hit #hit wheres the nearest gas. Yeah it's about 3 kms away I might make it :whitstling::whitstling:.

Get up the road about a km and realized **** I should have turn left as a gas station was only 1.5kms away.

Never mind I will make it ;). Then it died so hit the starter and it fired a few times so in with the clutch and coasted a good 800 meters will I make it coz its a big bike to push. :banghead::banghead:

Of course Im not going to make it I'm 400M short. Lucky it's flat where I ran out of gas.

Pushed the beast to the gas station.:eek::eek:
For an unfit 50 year old I got a little puffed.

I filled it up and only got 23.45 litres in it. But did manage to 276 kms around town

Here I always thought that the tank was 25 litres so that time I got 370 kms I only had 1.45 litres left.

The in town and out of town fuel usage is 5kms a litre different but it's a lot of stop goes in ChCh as the city is very flat and a huge amount of intersection.

Triumph state that the tank holds 24 litres

My tank wouldn't know what to do with liters...it takes gallons!

I tried putting in liters one time—it was all the station had. My bike ran terribly for a couple days. And even worse, it kept wanting to ride on the wrong side of the road. :eek:

A disaster and not something I’d suggest doing. Just follow Triumph’s “gallon” recommendation. :D

Doesn’t anyone carry extra fuel on a long ride?
Dawg68, I used to carry a quart (about 0.95 liter) of fuel on long trips, but now I do it all the time. It allows me the freedom to push on with confidence while commuting well after the odometer counter has reached "0". It's good to know have a few miles of insurance fuel.

After running out of fuel, I can put 6.3 US gallons into my R3R tank, with the bike sitting on level ground on the side stand. The level is at the bottom of the basket in the filler neck. If I stand the bike upright and fill the tank up to where the cap seals against the neck, I can get 6.45 US gallons in. Both these amounts are usable capacity, not theoretical.

Mine runs on Litres per klms and never really thought much about it, light comes on at 210 or so klm mark and have had it through to 260 klms and still got 5 litres in the tank......

I have a good app on my mobile called "Fuelly" it works out averages and everything for ya, might try it tomorrow, need to fuel up before work.

9CE45A5C-2F28-4632-9223-FAB0EE5AFAD3.jpeg

I’ll soon find out how I do on the open road. Taking a 2-week, 5k mile loop from Tampa, Florida to San Diego, California. With stops in St. Louis, Missouri, Albuquerque, New Mexico and Phoenix, Arizona on the way.

No more of the Iton Butt stuff for now...I’ll try to limit my days to 500-700 miles max.

Will carry some spare fuel as I almost always run out on these long rides. Am going to try the Reda spare fuel container as it appears to fit well in the R3T saddlebag. Anyone have experience with this product?

May2018SternsRAA.jpg

@dandiego that looks great. I went to their website but cannot find how much fuel it holds. Do you know?

I caught a fair amount of crap at Sterns for having a spare can of gas on the back of my bike...

Dawg68, I used to carry a quart (about 0.95 liter) of fuel on long trips, but now I do it all the time. It allows me the freedom to push on with confidence while commuting well after the odometer counter has reached "0". It's good to know have a few miles of insurance fuel.

Thanks, I have the Rotopax tank and the mounting adapter and it mounts to the luggage rack without any modifications to the luggage rack. Holds a gallon, better safe than sorry I guess.

459F78C2-7255-4BBA-8BC2-60B1CB758A86.jpeg

Attachments

• FF347C00-FA22-41D7-AAA8-A3EFAEEC860F.jpeg
    FF347C00-FA22-41D7-AAA8-A3EFAEEC860F.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
Back