Usable Fuel Tank Capacity

When I got my 05 it only had TORS & Triumph dealer tune for that - Got around 210-220 miles on a tank. Now with RamAir & a HansO tune I stretch it to get 145-150 miles on a tank. And yea, it's worth it :thumbsup:

Keep that in mind tomorrow @Steel :D
Ima need to stop for petro @ 130 please

Why, you ask? I've alway started looking for fuel at 130 miles and started sweating bullets when I hit 155-160 miles. I always thought I might be stopping more frequently than needed on a long trip. I usually average around 30-mpg highway on a trip, so that meant i should have a reserve of 30-50 miles if I really ran through a dry patch, but I never knew for sure. Knowing what I know now, I believe good walking shoes will be a must if I go for 180 miles.

I've read on a couple of other forums that the tanks shouldn't be run too low on FI bikes because it can damage the fuel pumps due to overheating, that the fuel in the tanks keeps them cool. I don't know the veracity of this but I generally pull over by about 150 miles anyway to refuel and stretch my tired old body.

It's interesting that you get only 30 mpg highway. I got near 38-39 on my 07 on the highway and about 32-35 around town depending on how heavy my wrist was. I got 30 on my Touring on a local ride a couple of weeks ago but we were really hauling using the TWO (Throttle Wide Open) method. I've yet to determine highway miles fuel economy.

I'll check the mileage on my 07 again when I ride up for a visit, probably in the fall.

When I got my 05 it only had TORS & Triumph dealer tune for that - Got around 210-220 miles on a tank. Now with RamAir & a HansO tune I stretch it to get 145-150 miles on a tank. And yea, it's worth it :thumbsup:

Keep that in mind tomorrow @Steel :D
Ima need to stop for petro @ 130 please
Sounds good, I have to stop about that often to pee. :D

I’ve run out of gas a few times now. Mainly on long distance rides when I stupidly passed up gas stations then couldn’t locate one. I usually carry a 1-liter bottle with me...just in case. I ran out the other day on my way to the DMV to register my bike. Had to coast more than a block into a nearby gas station.

This issue came up a few years ago; the post is likely still on this site. I claimed that I could put 6.5 gallons of fuel into my R3T and another Rocket Captain (Donivan) challenged that statement. He met me at a local San Diego gas station where he observed me put 6.6 gallons in. He then stated, “Yeah, well, it’s all going into the overflow charcoal canister...”

Maybe, but I still did it.

Donivan is a great guy, BTW.

That's interesting. I needed to know how much I could get out of the tank, and now I have a pretty good idea. I hope I never run out, unless on purpose.

I routinely put in 3.5-5 gallons. I let it get low a lot. My bad.

Here’s food for thought: When I first got my R3T in 2009, the fuel gauge would register low/reserve and I still had 2 gallons left. My Triumph dealer said it was a tune issue and quickly fixed it free of charge. From then on, my reserve would come on when I had 1 gallon left....a lot more accurate.

So that’s something to look at if you’d like.

Back