Usable Fuel Tank Capacity

Usable volume in the '09 I just sold was 6.12 gallons as long as I was willing to coast into a gas station on a dead bike

I know my bike well enough to know my rate of burn and how much was left in the tank, I just never know how much I would be able to pull out to burn. I never paid much attention to the light because it was always ultra conservative and I never bothered to adjust it. All is good, now that I know what others have experienced.

Old post of mine about 8 weeks ago.

Well today was the day I found out exactly how much fuel the rocket holds.

Checked the trip meter this morning and thought should I tip some fuel out of the can into the bike had 230kms of around town ridding.

I'll be right will get some on the way home from work.

Well thats great get to work and arrange to meet up with a guy to show him my Rocket. Which he really liked it he said to me just ride up the hill 15 degree incline and ride back past his house. Loose grit all over the place and a bloody good hair pin bend not Too far past his place.

So heading home bike seems to be missing and farting every now and again.

By this time I had riden past 3 or more gas stations.

At a stop light I rode up to the front in the cycle lane (don't judge me) I'm on a cycle with a very large motor. :thumbsdown:

anyhow light goes green I gas it and the bike dies. #hit hit the starter and roar off across the intersection and then it really plays up then I realized that I was going to run out of gas.

#hit #hit wheres the nearest gas. Yeah it's about 3 kms away I might make it :whitstling::whitstling:.

Get up the road about a km and realized **** I should have turn left as a gas station was only 1.5kms away.

Never mind I will make it ;). Then it died so hit the starter and it fired a few times so in with the clutch and coasted a good 800 meters will I make it coz its a big bike to push. :banghead::banghead:

Of course Im not going to make it I'm 400M short. Lucky it's flat where I ran out of gas.

Pushed the beast to the gas station.:eek::eek:
For an unfit 50 year old I got a little puffed.

I filled it up and only got 23.45 litres in it. But did manage to 276 kms around town

Here I always thought that the tank was 25 litres so that time I got 370 kms I only had 1.45 litres left.

The in town and out of town fuel usage is 5kms a litre different but it's a lot of stop goes in ChCh as the city is very flat and a huge amount of intersection.

My low light comes on with a claimed 50 miles of range left...and at that point I can put in a bit over 5 gallons.

In the 11+ years I've had my Rocket I've never run out of fuel. That being said, I was wondering if anyone has determined the maximum amount of fuel that can be drawn out before she coughs to a stop?
I've run the tank down until the range was showing as 20 km (12 miles).. Not sure how much gas I put in and thus what was left but I figured that was close enough. If I do it again I'll post the fill amount

Well today was the day I found out exactly how much fuel the rocket holds.

Pushed the beast to the gas station.:eek::eek: For an unfit 50 year old I got a little puffed.

Ha ha! Great running-out-of-fuel-and-pushing-a-900lb-bike story!

But should a guy of your advanced age really be riding —and/or pushing—such a large & dangerous bike? Maybe you can look into a Honda Rebel 250. :D

Well, at least you know for certain what its capacity is now.

Since reading about the variability of the low fuel light, I have started tracking the mileage when it comes on. Over the last 7 of 8 fill-ups (I missed one) the low fuel light has, on average, been coming on at 160 miles, indicating an average of 1.31 gallons left, and 45.5 miles left to empty. The miles to empty is based on these calculations and not the Miles to Empty of the bike gauge. I am pretty sure that gauge is worthless as a source of accurate information. I am on a stock 2014 R3T and assuming it has a 5.9 gallon tank per the manual.

So I had to go do a little research as I've always had the capacity for my '14 R3T in my head as 5.5 gallons. I see there is in fact a different with the touring; being rated at 5.9 gallons (manual states 22.3 liters) as compared to the '14 Roadster at 6.3 gallons. I've run out with other bikes and generally fill up at round the 125 mile mark unless I'm all freeway (26 vs 37 mpg).
-MIG

Back