TuneBoy Trouble Shooting

Pig9r

Living Legend
After Tom and I spent a couple of hours trying to connect TuneBoy to our bikes yesterday I thought a trouble shooting thread might help others with the same problems we had.

It appears that the first time you try to open TuneEdit after loading the TuneBoy supplied disk that there will be a window that pops up saying "Input file open failed!!!!!!!!!!2" Click OK. Another window will open titled "Open Tune" Browse in that window until you find the Tunes folder in the TuneBoy folder on your hard drive. Select one of the Rocket tunes to load. Apparently TuneEdit has to have a tune loaded to open correctly and (as we spent all afternoon attempting) to connect to the bike to obtain the ECU serial number so you can get your software unlock key.

Wayne from TuneBoy said that he forgot to include a tune in the programs opening path. He also sent an undated version of TuneEdit that fixes a program they had reading PCIII maps.

For those that are using Win 98 I have a driver that will work to allow the USB to Serial coversion. The drivers that come with the Tuneboy CD won't work on Win 98. You can PM me with an email address and I will send as a zip file. It was over the limit for attaching to this post.

Most excellent... maybe we can get my old junk pile computer to work with the TuneBoy stuff down in the garage... that would be a lot easier than dragging the bike upstairs to the computer there....:D

I should buy a laptop... I am a certifed packrat/ McGuiver kind of fool. I should hire one of those big roll away dumpsters and start pitching stuff. Why I keep any of it is beyond me... I never use it. EBay... that's it...EBay...:D

I have been exchanging emails with Wayne and sharing some of mine and Tom's experiences and results. As a result Wayne has released an updated version of TuneEdit v3.06 that now allows for the forced adaption of the ECU after a tune has been downloaded. This is basically the same as a the "12 minute tune." I have not tried it yet but Wayne said a check box will appear after a tune is loaded asking if you want to force adaptions or not.

We have found that after performing some significant changes to a tune and then returning to the previous tune that the bike did not perform quite like it did with the previous tune however after some time it would improve.

A word of caution though doing this each time after loading a tune may cause what changes you have made to the tune to react differently since you are changing the adaptions the ECU has made in relation to your riding habits, altitude etc. Think of it as not forcing adaptions but wiping the slate clean so new adaptions can be made. Therefore a different baseline might be present. For more info see page 11.133 in the Triumph Rocket III Service Manual.

A good rule of thumb would be to use this feature after making air filter, air box, and exhaust mods. Also after running a tune that caused the bike to run poorly when you plan to return to a previous tune for an extended period of time.

Also in the latest version are the means to change the rev limiter in the tune constants. This ability came with a word of caution from Wayne stating that raising it could cause the engine to run lean in that RPM range because the fuel maps are targeted to the stock limit and the fact that the secondaries would be fully closed at that point.

Is Wayne paying you???Maybe we can work on it again this weekend a little... I've too much crap going on..:D... I still want to try my bizzare idea. I need a week off....:eek:

Back