Tuneboy finally does open loop

I picked up the bike this morning. It freakin' rips.

I plan on making it over to the dyno next week or weekend. I'll compare my tune to Tuneboy's Jardine tune and post some charts.

Although the bike is riding well, the dyno wasn't too encouraging today.

My Tuneboy custom map did not perform that well or do so well on the A/F side of things. It started off lean at 14.5ish. At 5,000 RPMs it went rich to 12.8, then raised to 13 from 6 grand on up to the 6,500 redline. I will say the lean line was straight and the rich line was straight. Top end results were 146.03 / 152.52.

Just for the hell of it, I dynoed Tuneboy's Jardine tune. While it pulled better numbers with 148.76 / 154.03, the A/F line was at or above 14 throughout the entire RPM spectrum.

I do believe it's time I invested in a Power Commander.

Just from reading the description of the "EX", it appears it works with the bikes O2 sensor, meaning it must go into closed loop. CARB.. Californicate Air Research Board, has forced its will on the rest of the world with some ridiculous air quality standards, and you all know about the court battles going on with that. I think I would stick with the regular PC III.

Ordered my power commander today. Got a dyno session scheduled for next Saturday. I've got a modified version of Tuneboy's Jardine tune that I'll drop in the ECU before dropping the bike off to the PC tuner.

Last edited:
Correct part: #76423016 (not listed or pictured on website)

Incorrect part: #76423006 (listed and pictured on website)

Why is the replacement 76423006 "incorrect"? They replaced the original O2 sensor because it didn't work right with the PCIII. My mechanic discovered this when the PCIII came out for the Rocket and went round and round with DynoJet about it for over a year. They finally acknowledged the problem and fixed the sensor. My mechanic says that the PCIII works with the new sensor.

Doug, when you say that the PC works with the new sensor, do you mean the new sensor that comes with the PC III when you order a PC III for the Rocket? Or do you mean that your mechanic ordered part #76423006 off the Dynojet website and used that as a substitute for #76423016?

The O2 eliminator that comes with a PC III is part #76423016, which is the correct O2 but is not shown on the Dynojet website. Instead Dynojet inaccurately lists part #76423006 as a replacement O2 eliminator for Triumphs. Yes, #76423006 is a replacement O2 kit for Triumphs...some Triumphs that is but not the Rocket III.

Doug, I'm thinking that your mechanic was referring to #76423016 as the new part?

Last edited:
Doug, when you say that the PC works with the new sensor, do you mean the new sensor that comes with the PC III when you order a PC III for the Rocket? Or do you mean that your mechanic ordered part #76423006 off the Dynojet website and used that as a substitute for #76423016?

Since I haven't ordered one, I don't know. I assume that if you ordered a PCIII from DynoJet, it would come with the updated sensor although this may not be true for other vendors with older stock. I'm pretty sure that Freedom cycle in Reno knows the updated part number because he showed me the little bugger in its bag.

The O2 eliminator that comes with a PC III is part #76423016, which is the correct O2 but is not shown on the Dynojet website. Instead Dynojet inaccurately lists part #76423006 as a replacement O2 eliminator for Triumphs. Yes, #76423006 is a replacement O2 kit for Triumphs...some Triumphs that is but not the Rocket III.
Presumably, the problem was just with the Rocket. My dealer put PCIII's in other Triumphs without problems but when the PCIII for the Rocket came out, he said it didn't work.

Doug, I'm thinking that your mechanic was referring to #76423016 as the new part?
He didn't mention any numbers - only that DynoJet had finally fixed the **** thing. He's put them (PCIII's) into several Rockets now and he's happy with them.

In any case, the updated sensor is going to plug into the connector the Triumph O2 sensor plugs into so it has to fit. If you bought the PCIII before the updated sensor came, I'm sure DynoJet will supply you with the updated one. Have you talked to them?

I'd like to know what would happen if I just plugged it in. On the other hand, the backfiring that occurs when I screech to a stop sounds kind of funky.

Last edited:
Back