TTS Supercharger vs. Carpenter Head Rework?

Rocket3Pilot

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
Just curious about the pros and cons of which upgrade is more practical? Seems like the TTS Kit would be a much simpler installation with less hassles in the long run.

Anybody done the TTS mod themselves? How difficult was it and how is customer support? I've tried to contact TTS through their online site twice with no response? Is there a US distributor?

It's all where and how you want to make your power. TTS requires drilling the crankshaft nose, but the kit includes a fixture for it. Carp obviously requires engine work.

Both need custom tunes both can make similar power without doing the pistons. Both can be daily ridden afterwards. Both are expensive.

I chose Carp because I like the revised head and valve train, shim under bucket makes so much more sense than over.

I also don't the Supercharger hanging way out there, just makes me nervous.

Keep in mind CES pipes won't work with the TTS kit.

In my experience virtually no one monitors or responds to email contact they list, weird, best bet is to call

I'm more of a fan of Turbos. I haven't seen a kit for our bikes that include an intercooler though.

Just curious about the pros and cons of which upgrade is more practical? Seems like the TTS Kit would be a much simpler installation with less hassles in the long run.

Anybody done the TTS mod themselves? How difficult was it and how is customer support? I've tried to contact TTS through their online site twice with no response? Is there a US distributor?

if you have the CES pipes I would strongly recommend that you go with the TTS system and sell me the CES system- if you do not then go with which one tickles your fancy:D

Were I to pretend NOT to be pushin' 71, I'd go with the Carp for longevity and upkeep reasons.

ime - Go as LOCAL as possible for reasons of BACKUP. In the USA - Carpenter.

Personally (if I had any chance of getting it past inspections) I'd go TTS on a VERY low boost. I have zero interest at running above 4000rpms for very long - And tbh I have no real interest in MONSTER acceleration. But more low-midrange torque when cruising would be nice.

I have found a GOOD head flow place here - one day maybe.

You could of course follow Scott - and do both!

@warp9.9 is the only person who can answer this properly. He's done each of these setups individually himself and also together.

There are another couple of guys who have @Neville Lush racing setup (another option for you) and also a couple who have Nev's stuff plus TTS.

I fitted the Carpenter stuff myself and then added the TTS stage 2 myself, so I can't say what TTS gear is like on its own.

If I'm brutally honest in my experience, there are a few things you need to know about both to be fully advised.

When you say practical, if you mean to fit, then both take time and work. TTS may take a bit of a lead time as some parts have to be fabricated to order.
Carpenter will require you take the head off and send it to them for work before it comes back to you with the other bits to fit/Refit.
That is if you don't bring the bike to them to do it for you.
But don't forget TTS also go up to stage 3 which has pistons and cams to be fitted too.
Both require opening up your engine and doing things that are delicate enough.
Although the Carpenter setup does need a little more technician skill.

If you mean practical as in bike finish and maintenance, it would be the Carpenter setup.
If you want to keep the bike looking stock, you can do it with Carpenter (at a cost of some power due to stock exhaust), but the TTS can't look stock.

Having carried out both fittings I would say both are around the same if it's an easy fix you are looking for.

I found customer support by phone or email to be fast & good in both cases.
Also the guys on here who have the gear are an invaluable asset in terms of tech support.

A pro which is exclusive to the Carpenter stuff is a 9000 rpm redline which means effectively longer gearing and theoretical top speed of 239mph :D

Last edited:
Wow! Great responses. I hadn't considered a few of these things. Also didn't realize their were a couple of "characters" out there with both kits on their bikes? Really? :eek:That's pretty nuts!

One more question. I'm considering buying a complete, running, low mileage engine and taking it completely apart and reworking it as a winter project. I realize from this forum that there are some subtle differences internally and some updates, but are all of the blocks identical externally? I have a 2013 Roadster. So, would a 2005 block fit my frame and foot rails/ABS etc.?

Thanks

Back