Trouble shifting from neutral to first when @ rest.

If you are sitting at the lights for example and you select first, it may not go all the way in so ease the clutch whilst putting pressure on the gear lever. You will feel it click in all the way in...very normal.

Anyone else experiencing this? Had shifter adjusted @ first service. Helped a little but not totally. I have to roll back a little to shift. Doesn't matter if the bike is warm or cold.
I have found that if I want to put the bike in neutral while sitting at a light, I have to do the following: with my toe under the shifter and applying some light pressure to the shifter, I ease out the clutch, then when the bike begins to roll forward, I pull in the clutch, and the transmission will go into neutral. It appears the movement of the bike is what allows the transmission to go into neutral. This does not always work, and it will then go into second. If it does this, with the clutch pulled all the way in, I put it back into first and try again. Sometimes, I can get it to go into neutral going from second to first by easing out the clutch with the bike in second and applying slight pressure to the shifter until the bike begins to roll forward, then pull in the clutch and it will go into neutral. Sometimes it works and sometimes it goes into first. I just keep up the dance until I find neutral or the light changes. :banghead:

I have never placed my bike(s) in neutral at a light. I do however downshift while looking in front of me and checking rear view mirrors. Come to a stop one side or the other never directly behind the vehicle in front of me. Continuously check rear view mirrors until i have two vehicles behind that are stopped. When stopped bike is in gear and both hands on handle bars with one foot down. A split second can make a difference between getting rear ended or not. Three times in the last five years following this simple procedure has kept me from getting rear ended at a light. Not so good for the car that was in front of me at the lights. Some say that burns up the clutch. Would rather replace the clutch then try to replace the Rocket X. Stop Lights and parking lots I stay very alert and pay close attention to what is going around me.

Back