Trouble shifting from neutral to first when @ rest.

Bluebelly

No funds
Ride
'16 Rocket 3 Roadster
Anyone else experiencing this? Had shifter adjusted @ first service. Helped a little but not totally. I have to roll back a little to shift. Doesn't matter if the bike is warm or cold.

100% normal, and all bikes do it to some extent if the clutch is fully disengaging.

The bikes that never have this issue, actually have slightly dragging clutches.

When the tires is still, and clutch is pulled, if the dogs are perfectly aligned it’s not possible for them to couple so you roll the bike to spin the output shaft and break the alignment, allowing the gears to mesh l.

Last edited:
It’s funny (and great) how motorcycles are so different from most things in our modern lives. No one would buy a new car and accept “oh that’s normal” after saying it’s not always shifting into first. That’d warrant a big WTF. :D

I had a Jeep Wrangler that I put 90 weight in the trans...I had to double clutch it when it was cold...but the trans never blew up despite the hard wheeling I did.

I tried shifting all the different Triumph bikes at the dealer.

Shockingly the ONLY bike that would go through all the gears up and down while sitting with the bike off.... Thruxton R. It also felt the smoothest.

Back