Triumph Quit Ignoring Your Ignition Problems

Another ignition switch story.

I was on a ride in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. Had a great ride up and over two passes (Carson Pass on Hwy 88 and Ebbets Pass on Hwy 4) and on my way back into the central valley. Bike died making a right turn in Angels Camp, California on Hwy 49.

Got bike off to side of road, figured out it had to be electrical. Checked battery connections, fuses, all OK. Lifted tank and started jiggling different wiring bundles, figured out it was wiring going into switch. This was at 6:00 pm on a Sunday, NO stores open to get any parts to try to bypass.

Called AMA MoTow. After waiting on hold for over 30 minutes, operator came back on and told me there were no tows available anywhere for me, but that "customer service" would call in five minutes to see if they could help me. After waiting for them for 45 minutes and getting really pissed, I decided to call AAA (have tow coverage for my cars but initially forgot about it since haven't used it in about 10 years). They got me a flatbed tow within 30 minutes and got the 65 mile tow back to Elk Grove for no charge.

Bike is now at dealer waiting for new ignition.

It absolutely defies logic that a marque such as Triumph would let its reputation be dragged down by what would be a $30 upgrade. People guenuinely are reluctant to buy the bike for the one fact that the ignition switch might fail and leave them stranded. Why should I have to fix it myself when it's so obviously a design flaw? Pull your finger out Triumph; it's costing you many many sales and causing a lot of unnecessary heartache and inconvenience.

I just got back from a trip to the Tail of the Dragon. I drove around 400 miles to get there and I made 1.5 passes on the Dragon when I made a U-turn at the overlook and it died. I had to send word for help because cell service is nonexistent in the mountains. Two hours later waiting in the 95 degree heat the tow driver shows up and takes me to Wheeler's motorcycle shop and he takes the switch apart and I drove it back to Ohio. An Eastern Beaver headlight relay is on the way and I will probably relocate the switch so that the wiring doesn't get stressed when the bars are turned. I have not called the dealer yet to get the story on the switch.

BTW, I also had a flat rear tire on the way home in a town in Kentucky where they just shack their heads at these machines. I had them plug the tire and I rode it the rest of the way home.

I completely agree - why doesn't Triumph just step up and fix this?

I love my Rocket, but am starting to think about selling it as soon as I finish paying it off. Bike has beern in shop almost three weeks waiting for parts. Have had problems with fork seals (3 sets), clutch, fuel leaks, etc. Each time something goes wrong requiring parts not in stock, it is a 1-3 week wait to get bike back.

Really beginning to think about switching brands - biek is spending more time in shop than on the road.

Thanks Everyone for your stories continue to provide them I am heading to sturgis for a week and will return on the 14th I plan on drafting a letter to Triumph America as well as triumph UK requesting a response to the issue. If i get no satisfaction from them I plan to start hitting the government agencies.

Does anyone know if the Easy start Headlight Control Module on the New Bonneville website will do the same as the relay bypass that everyone seems to be doing:):)

Thanks Everyone for your stories continue to provide them I am heading to sturgis for a week and will return on the 14th I plan on drafting a letter to Triumph America as well as triumph UK requesting a response to the issue. If i get no satisfaction from them I plan to start hitting the government agencies.

Is Ralph Nader still about??

Jay Leno is a mad keen Rider.

Does anyone know if the Easy start Headlight Control Module on the New Bonneville website will do the same as the relay bypass that everyone seems to be doing:):)

Reading the discription all this does is keep headlight off untill after bike starts, but power would still go thru the ignition switch. May be useful for tuning sessions but still need either the EB or a dyi relay kit.

Looking at the Eastern Beaver site on the R3 looms i presume that the first one is what most people are buying?

Back