RooK

Supercharged
Ride
'06 RIII
Hi all,

I own a 2006 R3 Classic.

I've been having this issue after long period of highway. When I try to downshift it won't downshift.

Basically the lever bottoms out, there is no clicking.
After many tries and slowing down I am able to go all the way down and then it works properly.

I have changed the oil and adjusted the linkage and clutch cable multiple times but this issue keeps coming back more and more often.
I've had this issue for a couple years, it's not getting better :(

Would this sound like a weak detent spring or the other spring? Is it something I can fix myself?

Finally, for the love of god. Someone posts a problem with a tranny that DOES sound like a detent spring:)

Yep that would be my first guess. Of course if his has not had the udate kit then the detent roller and all is out dated. Still deten would be the first thing I would look at. Let me ponder on it a bit more.

It has had the upgrade kit... years ago!

UpsShifts are positive and firm, never slips out of gear.

Now that I think about it, As it happens more, when I downshift sometimes I can feel the shift lever not bouncing back, just a click not a positive CLUNK. sometimes it takes a few seconds to bounce back.
When it gets "stuck" the shift lever feels like it did not return to a shiftable position.

I was thinking the Gear change return spring.
I see of the schematics that it can come as a whole assembly (Gear change Shaft Assembly) I wonder.. Can I change this only with the front cover off or do I need to take the bottom off too?

Dude now that I know its been updated I would definitely check the detent spring first you can scope it thru the water pump hole or a few hour's and she is open. 4 tops and your firing her up.

Last edited:
if the spring is bad i would think that u could take your toe and lift up then push down for 4th and same for 3, 2, and 1. if it is just the spring that would be great.

Yes to Toe/heel shift lever

If I scope, what do I look for? Being an intermittent problem (for 3 summers) I know the spring is there.

When that happens, basically there is no "feel" the lever completely bottoms out (travels all the way with no clicking) doesn't matter how hard I push. I let go of the clutch and try again and again as I brake. Eventually it works until the next time ... hours later

How hard is it to change the gear change return spring?
If I take the front engine cover off, Do I need a new seal?

Back