Transmission Problem...? Crap!

OOps I missed the picture above and yes you can see the gear has shifted. let me go look at a block and see what it might be rubbing against.

Sir, You rock! I can't thank you enough for taking the time and including these pictures! This helps me out a lot!!!

I stopped by the dealer today, and showed them all of the pictures (a big thank you to Warp 9.9!!). They ballparked the repair at about $1500. That would be to put the clutch cover w/gasket, radiator, oil sump pan w/gasket, and then pull off that back plate, take a look inside, put the washers and bolts back on the output shaft, and button it all up. I'm probably going to drop it off in the next couple of weeks.

Sir, You rock! I can't thank you enough for taking the time and including these pictures! This helps me out a lot!!!
No problems bud. I recommend pulling the screen plates up and clean the swarf out of the screens you will be amazed. I know the dealer will not do it as it makes to much sense :D

No problems bud. I recommend pulling the screen plates up and clean the swarf out of the screens you will be amazed. I know the dealer will not do it as it makes to much sense :D
Nice job Warp9.9! looks like Super D got lucky after all, lucky to have your help too!:thumbsup:

Nice job Warp9.9! looks like Super D got lucky after all, lucky to have your help too!:thumbsup:
No kidding, I'm glad that I had some guidance to attempt to discover the issue. Still not out of the woods yet. I will post as I get more details from the dealer. I'm going to loosely put it back together, and then get it over to the shop.

No kidding, I'm glad that I had some guidance to attempt to discover the issue. Still not out of the woods yet. I will post as I get more details from the dealer. I'm going to loosely put it back together, and then get it over to the shop.
Dave no matter what make sure they change the bearings on the torsional damper shaft. there is a 90+% chance the front one is in backwards. It has one seal on the bearing and should be facing the rear so it gets oil from the transmission. The rear bearing has been changed to a sealed unit. If your has not failed it will so you might as well change them while it is out.
below is a picture of one that has the bearing in backwards. The seal should be on the other side. I think this happened before the brits learn to chill there Barley beverages :)

TorsionalDamperShaftbearinginstalledwrongwayaround.jpg

Below marked with a red arrow is where the damper shaft bearing fits into the engine case. You can see the lubrication hole with the seal in backwards it is hard for the oil to reach the rollers :D

05rearview output shaft.jpg

on the subject of the torsional damper bearing.. I understand that one is the wrong way around (mine is) and I have ordered a replacement even though it seems fine, no play in it... but reading this it seems I should be replacing the one at the other end as well? which also seems fine..

I have only ordered the one on the inside...

on the subject of the torsional damper bearing.. I understand that one is the wrong way around (mine is) and I have ordered a replacement even though it seems fine, no play in it... but reading this it seems I should be replacing the one at the other end as well? which also seems fine..

I have only ordered the one on the inside...
The updated one on the other end is sealed both sides and filled with grease. If yours is not I would install a newer style one.

Back