Transmission Problem...? Crap!

Here is a better picture. I think it is for the output shaft.
If it is, am I still screwed? I'm hoping this means that I'm not looking at several thousand $$.
The nut is about 1 1/16" and has a lip one one side.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 3
yep that is them buggers. This is the first I ever heard of happening. its weird as you do not even have to pull that nut when your adding the updated second gear goodies.
Can you see the gear up inside her? maybe with your camera if it is not high enough off the ground.

hers is a shot of there area to look in. I am curious as to whether you can see any wear or damage on the helical gear.

output helical drive assembled.jpg

yep that is them buggers. This is the first I ever heard of happening. its weird as you do not even have to pull that nut when your adding the updated second gear goodies.
Can you see the gear up inside her? maybe with your camera if it is not high enough off the ground.

hers is a shot of there area to look in. I am curious as to whether you can see any wear or damage on the helical gear.

output helical drive assembled.jpg
I'll see if I can't get a picture or something.
What do you think it will take to repair it? Am I still looking at them having to split it, or can it be repaired from underneath?

I'll see if I can't get a picture or something.
What do you think it will take to repair it? Am I still looking at them having to split it, or can it be repaired from underneath?
Here is the best pic I could get.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 13
Ive just rebuilt my motor.. and I remember that washer.. with OUT written on it.. its mentioned in the manual.. shall I try and find it or do you already know for sure where its from?

Ive just rebuilt my motor.. and I remember that washer.. with OUT written on it.. its mentioned in the manual.. shall I try and find it or do you already know for sure where its from?
Warp said it was from the output shaft, but if you could confirm it, that would be great. Being how you just rebuilt your motor, and if it does belong to the output shaft.... Is it possible to repair without pulling, and splitting the engine?

I would not doubt warps word for one minute.. And yes I've had the output shaft out to upgrade 2nd gear etc.. So sounds right. You will have to split crankcase.. Its not as bad as it sounds.. As lo g as you have a torque wrench for refitting...
I'm no mechanic and I managed it easily.. You will need 2 special tools though.. Clutch holding tool and alternate puller tool.. I could remove either without although it has been said you can do clutch with an airgun.. I bought clutch tool on eBay for about 15£ but you will need to get alternator tool from triumph.. Or a friend..

I would not doubt warps word for one minute.. And yes I've had the output shaft out to upgrade 2nd gear etc.. So sounds right. You will have to split crankcase.. Its not as bad as it sounds.. As lo g as you have a torque wrench for refitting...
I'm no mechanic and I managed it easily.. You will need 2 special tools though.. Clutch holding tool and alternate puller tool.. I could remove either without although it has been said you can do clutch with an airgun.. I bought clutch tool on eBay for about 15£ but you will need to get alternator tool from triumph.. Or a friend..
I am going to have the dealer do it. ****.

I didn't have that luxury.. I live in spain 200km from nearest dealer. I enjoyed the experience and now feel happier I know the inside if my engine..
If it wasn't for the help of this forum and its great members I probably would of had a wobble.. But help is always on hand..

The reason I wanted you to look up at the gear was to see if there is a sign of the gears grinding on the case or in this case the bearing shell. This could be your grinding noise and not the transmission. It would mean you would have to pull the torsional damper so you can get at the back of the output shaft to reinstall the washers and nut. it would look something like this picture I captured from one of the guys on this site working on his. the nut you lost is circled in yeller

05rearview output shaft.jpg

change in the bike.jpg

In the picture below I marked the bearing housing I am wondering if it was grinding against it and forcing the bearing out of it from the torque thrust developed in helical gears.

output shaft bearing housing.jpg

Back