And then there's Florida. Humidity goes to 100% every night.

Framed in Dallas in 1980 when they had 21 or 24 days in a row over 100. Me, a Yankee fresh out of Buffalo, NY, had never seen triple digits in my life
Worked as a mover (as in people changing locations) in Baton Rouge, LA on the back of a moving truck for about six years. Flat, hot, humid, and waaaaaay too much partying there.

@rainman and @Dr.D should chime in, as well...

I'm not sure how long you have, so I'll try to stay in the general TOD area.... In no certain order, except for #1
1) The Snake- this is IMO the finest stretch of blacktop I've ever come across. As if built custom for us... it's between Mountain City, TN and Bristol on Hwy 421.
2) The Rattler from (or to) Hot Springs, NC Hwy 209
3) The Devil's Triangle- starts at Brushy Mountain State Prison in Petros, TN.
4) Aces and Eights - @rainman can give you info on this one.
5) So many more- let us know where all you plan to be and we can suggest more. I have several just miles from my house. It's Disneyland around here.

Be on the lookout for a physical map (Wild Rides) that has tons of routes (free). I would think that the shop at the start of TOD has them, but they're widely available in motorcycle related places and even restaurants in the entire region.
I think we are riding up on Thursday, hit up TOD on friday so its not too busy, Saturday they want to go whitewater rafting, and then sunday we can ride all day. But I believe we are staying about 40min south of that area in a camper one of them is pulling up.

I think we are riding up on Thursday, hit up TOD on friday so its not too busy, Saturday they want to go whitewater rafting, and then sunday we can ride all day. But I believe we are staying about 40min south of that area in a camper one of them is pulling up.
You should definitely check out the Cherohala Skyway, which is very close to TOD. It ends in Telico Plains. Unlike the TOD it is sweepers. It's high elevations, so the temps will ne 10 - 15 degrees cooler. Watch for police, but I didn't see any there on Thursday. This is a popular destination and you'll be close, so you should check it out...

There is a really cheap motorcycle campground in Telico and a great bakery for the morning sendoff, Telico Grains. The campground used to be called Smitty's, but there is a new owner, so the business name has changed. I stayed there last night.
Smitty's Lodge Motorcycle Campground · 9555 TN-68, Tellico Plains, TN 37385, Vereinigte Staaten ($15).

TOD is in a weird area. Other than that for really good roads you'll need to travel a ways north (Devil's Triangle, Aces and Eights) or east (Rattler, The Snake) to get to more concentrated areas with good riding. I'm sure there are exceptions.

I am trying to get the bike finished by Sunday as I plan on being up by the Tail of the Dragon next weekend. If I can't get the rocket up I will have to ride my wife's Kawasaki Vulcan S and its not a very comfortable bike for long trips.
Have fun on the dragon! My buddy was up there last week! He said it was hot as hell! Still a good time

@rainman and @Dr.D should chime in, as well...

I'm not sure how long you have, so I'll try to stay in the general TOD area.... In no certain order, except for #1
1) The Snake- this is IMO the finest stretch of blacktop I've ever come across. As if built custom for us... it's between Mountain City, TN and Bristol on Hwy 421.
2) The Rattler from (or to) Hot Springs, NC Hwy 209
3) The Devil's Triangle- starts at Brushy Mountain State Prison in Petros, TN.
4) Aces and Eights - @rainman can give you info on this one.
5) So many more- let us know where all you plan to be and we can suggest more. I have several just miles from my house. It's Disneyland around here.

Be on the lookout for a physical map (Wild Rides) that has tons of routes (free). I would think that the shop at the start of TOD has them, but they're widely available in motorcycle related places and even restaurants in the entire region.
Nc 28 is a great road in the area. There are great rides equal to the TOD without all the traffic. I hate crowds and crazy riders.

Yea but you get those late evening storms that cool everying off in florida. Lived in apopka and st pete for a while and apart from the people, it was nice
Temperature doesn't change that much, and it's still 100% humidity. At least right on the Gulf coast, where I am

Ok, well I put a few hours on the bike and finished buttoning up the rest of the parts. She seems to be fine but every once in a while it seems to get too rich in the low RPMs (under 1,500) and bogs. No rhyme or reason. So I think its either a bit of bad gas or a fuel injector that is upset. There is a place just down the road that cleans injectors so I will be giving them a call tomorrow and see if they can get me in after this weekend. At 88k miles and an unknown service past, I feel like its worth it just to make sure its not that.

Attachments

• signal-2023-09-03-153140_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-09-03-153140_002.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 7
Back