trans-mixer issues....2009 touring....

mjackson1000

Rabid Texan
Ride
'09 R3T
the Rocket was having issues getting into and staying in 2nd...and finding neutral was getting to be a *****, too....finally got it into the dealer...they have had it a week.....finally called me today. :(

said I had broken a spring, the 'detent' spring, and they had to pull the motor, rebuild the tranny, and then reinstall everything, with new seals, etc....20 HOURS OF LABOR?!?!?!?!?

that seems more than a bit excessive....I can pull the engine & tranny in my Vette or El Camino and rebuild 'em, and reinstall 'em in less time than that....?

Anybody got an exploded drawing of the tranny in our bikes so i can see WTF.....?

thanx....

The detent spring can be done in 4 hours, even if you hadn't done it before. You do not need to pull the engine apart - just the front cover needs to be removed. It looks like they are doing the update kit, which takes 20 hours. Make sure that they don't rip you off in parts, it should be around $200, I think, but I'm sure someone will come up with the correct cost and part number.

If it was jumping out of 2nd gear under hard acceleration then it probably needs the kit.

My guess is since yours is to new to need the updated components you parts list should be what is trashed. Of course there is some transmission parts in the update that might have been usable in place of your parts but it mainly is second gear cluster and some shims.
one thing for sure 20 hours labor seems right fair for pulling rebuilding and re-install. If it only took 20 hours they must have had a tech with some experience.

If they say that the detent spring was the problem, and that was the only problem, then 20 hours is waaaaay too much for just that.

Although the 2009 models shouldn't have needed the update kit, when I had mine done I was given a new 2009 R3T as a loaner, and it was jumping out of 2nd gear. I was never sure if that was just because it was new, or if was going to need the kit. It was one of the first 2009 models.

If they say that the detent spring was the problem, and that was the only problem, then 20 hours is waaaaay too much for just that.

Although the 2009 models shouldn't have needed the update kit, when I had mine done I was given a new 2009 R3T as a loaner, and it was jumping out of 2nd gear. I was never sure if that was just because it was new, or if was going to need the kit. It was one of the first 2009 models.

Did it jump out of 2nd under load or on decal? If under load, then the "update kit" is the fix, and the 20-hours is about right. If it jumps out of gear on decal in every gear, then most likely the detent spring, and in the 4-hour range.

the Rocket was having issues getting into and staying in 2nd...and finding neutral was getting to be a *****, too....finally got it into the dealer...they have had it a week.....finally called me today. :(

said I had broken a spring, the 'detent' spring, and they had to pull the motor, rebuild the tranny, and then reinstall everything, with new seals, etc....20 HOURS OF LABOR?!?!?!?!?

that seems more than a bit excessive....I can pull the engine & tranny in my Vette or El Camino and rebuild 'em, and reinstall 'em in less time than that....?

Anybody got an exploded drawing of the tranny in our bikes so i can see WTF.....?

thanx....

thanx, dudes....and warp9.9.....how ya likein' that carpenter racing upgrade....?.....been thinkin about that myself.....

okay.....just got the bike back at lunch today...tomorrow would have been 5 weeks.....I did need the upgrade kit.....along with the usual springs and seals and clamps and spacers and miscellaneous other detritus.....also a water pump.... clutch is high and tight, and needs to be adjusted for friction zone....aside from missing some fine riding weather, I'm satisfied.....

okay.....just got the bike back at lunch today...tomorrow would have been 5 weeks.....I did need the upgrade kit.....along with the usual springs and seals and clamps and spacers and miscellaneous other detritus.....also a water pump.... clutch is high and tight, and needs to be adjusted for friction zone....aside from missing some fine riding weather, I'm satisfied.....
Great to hear you can test her out starting the weekend down in Marble falls Arkansas at the RAAX event!!!!

My bud at his shop did the detente spring in under 3 hours, and he never had worked on a Rocket before.
I dropped my bike at Carpenter today, he's going to rebuild the tranny with undercut gears and a billet 4th gear. If he can get it done by May 7th, I plan on picking it up and continuing on to Maggie Valley and meeting up with Hanso and some of the boys. Fingers crossed.
I also got to see the parts of the turbo kit he is developing that are done, he has a great intake plenum and a turbo installed on a bike, he's working on a new battery box and finishing off the exhaust.

Back