Just got back from the HONDA dealer, they replaced my front tire with a dunlop elite, for $275 installed, the triumph dealer wanted well over 300 and had to order it, other places also wanted over 300, i think it is ridiculous, too much money for a **** tire:mad:

I had Avon front and Metz rear for about 5000km and no noticeable issues - except the rear wore out too fast (4,800km). Handled OK but the rear Avon now is MUCH better, especially on a dry track. I'd say in the wet it's no worse than a Metz (probably better); just worse than in the dry. It feels secure enough though and it's probably more me being reluctant to push a bike of this weight and power too hard when the road is slippery.

I ran metz for 60k miles front and back, then switched to avons. The metz are better in the rain but not enough to make up for the better handling and mileage of the avons. The avons look better too. The different handling of different tires is hard to describe, but you know when one tire feels better than another, and the avon feels better than the metz for everything except heavy rain.

I am a cheap bastard, I would love to buy the cheaper metz, but after having the avons I just can't do it.

I ran metz for 60k miles front and back, then switched to avons. The metz are better in the rain but not enough to make up for the better handling and mileage of the avons. The avons look better too. The different handling of different tires is hard to describe, but you know when one tire feels better than another, and the avon feels better than the metz for everything except heavy rain.

I am a cheap bastard, I would love to buy the cheaper metz, but after having the avons I just can't do it.
Is that a Touring? I can't believe the 240 series is any good in the rain since it's bald in the center right out of the box. I've yet to see a Touring Metz, but after three of those crappy 240's and the condom thin middles they have ... I know which one I'd choose. ;)

240. Bald in the center right out of the box? Huh? I never noticed, all the ones I have bought had plenty of tread all over. Its all about feel, there is nothing objective about this at all, the metz's felt better, to me, in the rain, and I have done a lot of rain riding. On the other hand, the avons have not given me any trouble in the rain either, there is just a sense that you have to ride more carefully with them on wet roads. I run 40 psi front and 42 rear, maybe that has something to do with it.

you R3 owners are lucky you can get tyres!
my r3t has needed tyres for a few weeks but none are currently available as radials any where i can find this side of the pond.
even triumph dealers are trying to sell me a rear radial and a bias front (metz).
I can get Cobras but they are not approved, nor are Bridgestones.

Anyone know anything about it being ok to mix radial/bias belt?

I have a bike with bald tyres and no ready means of sorting.

Head of Triumph tech stated to me its ok, but has failed to send the email I requested confirming same???? Which makes me wonder!

Any views please?

It's my OPINION running a bias with the radial is OK. The wear may be faster since the radial could load the bias more. Other than that you should be fine.

You can also change the aspect ratio of the tires some to find a fit. Instead of a 240/50 you could use a 225/55 or something along that line. Biggest headache is the price. While some argue vehemently against the dark side it's hard to argue with a $100 rear tire change every 4 or 5 years or 30,000 miles.:D

I'm currently running a Metz radial on rear and a Metz bias on front of my 09 r3t with no noticeable difference between 2 radials. I ride alot of twistys. Eastern Ohio,WVa with no problems. The bias front was all I could find at the time but I have no regrets.

Back