triroketman

Supercharged
I have a dumb question. How do you know when these Metzelers are worn out? I can see no tread wear indicators on the rear tire. Do I just wait for the cords to show?
Thanks for any input.
Dave

I decided that when there was no indication "down the center" of rain grooves, it's time. Maybe a few hundred more miles could be done. I've read where captains have run them til cords are showing and a little more.

Personnal judgement call, but don't wait too long. Remember, the thiner the tire, the more susceptible to flats (with pointed objects).

Good luck. I ran 6800 on my first & just changed it this weekend. 6K to 9K seem to be the norm. It's all in the throttle use. To whack it, or not to whack it. How much thrill do you desire?

Right now I'm running with no center cross cut grovers for more an inch on the front. It's nearly 2" with no rain/wet road tunnel on the ass end. That's my max, it's past time for me to change! I got 8K out of my rear this point. **** the cost of a new tire mounted:eek:

And with my new found Friend, TuneBoy, tire wear will quickly become backseat. Tune Boy is something else. Pigxr said it, (mol) "why give us half a deal". A whole new world, unleashing the, "TRUE POTENTIAL" of the BEAST. I'm friggin amazed. I don't know why I waited so long.

Thanks Pig9r for your avid participation!!!

Last edited:
This is from an earlier post
It's pretty scary when you take a good look:eek:

ME 880 removed from R3 after 3600 miles, Large percentage of miles were 2 up. Zero burnouts 5/16" of total rubber left. Tread Depth in center of Tire still measures 5/64. If you cant see your center tread your riding on 5/64 or .09 inches of casing or less.

Attached ThumbnailsLink Removed

I'm new to this site and I don't have a Rocket III (YET). I do however have a Honda Valkyrie Tourer. I was tired of the short life span of a rear tire for the valkyrie, so I did what a lot of other valkyrie riders were doing, and bought a car tire for the back. I don't know if this has been discussed on this forum or if anyone is running a car tire on the back of a Rocket III. There are many members of the valkyrie club that have well over 100,000 miles on their bike with a car tire. I am on my second car tire on my valkyrie and wouldn't go back to a motorcycle tire. When I buy my Rocket III and the rear tire wears out, I will try a car tire on it and see how I like it. I got about 30,000 miles out of my first car tire on the valkyrie and still had tread left on the tire. A car tire on the back of a motorcycle is not for everyone, but I like it. Not trying to start a flame war, but just something to think about since the rear tires on the Rocket III's don't last very long.

Thank you guys for your input. I now have the rear tire off and am going to pick up a new one this afternoon. Local dealer has sale price of $203. Local tire shop said that he could mount it "no problem" the boss is going to do it himself. I should be up and going by tomorrow evening. I have ratchet straps attached to the luggage rack and as I raise the front with the lift I ratchet up the back. This raised it plenty high to get the tire out. Easiest removal I have ever done. Hope it goes back in as easy.
Dave

I'm new to this site and I don't have a Rocket III (YET). I do however have a Honda Valkyrie Tourer. I was tired of the short life span of a rear tire for the valkyrie, so I did what a lot of other valkyrie riders were doing, and bought a car tire for the back. I don't know if this has been discussed on this forum or if anyone is running a car tire on the back of a Rocket III. There are many members of the valkyrie club that have well over 100,000 miles on their bike with a car tire. I am on my second car tire on my valkyrie and wouldn't go back to a motorcycle tire. When I buy my Rocket III and the rear tire wears out, I will try a car tire on it and see how I like it. I got about 30,000 miles out of my first car tire on the valkyrie and still had tread left on the tire. A car tire on the back of a motorcycle is not for everyone, but I like it. Not trying to start a flame war, but just something to think about since the rear tires on the Rocket III's don't last very long.
Hey, Six Guns. There have been a few guys who have gone the car tire route. [Called "Going over to the DARKSIDE."] I have just ordered a Yokohama w speed rated 245/50/16 to try it myself. Should get here Friday, so I'll mount her up Saturday and report in. I am ready for my fourth new rear with 23k miles on the bike. :mad:

Back