timing chain tensioner

Rocket65

Supercharged
Just ordered a shim and gasket for my timing chain tensioner from the dealer. Think it would be easy to install as a pretty competent shade tree mechanic? This is for rattle can fix. Am I barking up the right tree?
My first real post on here. Still have an 1800 VTX, it is pretty powerful. Had a Valkyrie before that, also pretty strong. Rocket? OMG, Insane power! Also, never really noticed that my VTX rode rough until I rode the R3. Very smooth ride and tracks very straight and true. Love it. Little worried about reliability issues after riding Hondas.
Oops, sort of a double post.

G'day .. Welcome. The tensioner itself is an easy fit. I had to replace the timing chain in mine at 96,000 klms .. how many miles have you got on your bike ? I've known a couple of blokes that were still running their stock chains at twice the mileage I had on mine .. told that 'blipping' the throttle going down through the gears should be avoided.

The Paint can rattle was found on a few bikes to be the lower cam sprocket on the Crank. the key on the sprocket was not hardened enough and after awhile it wore on the sides allowing the sprocket to move.Tap tap tap. should be looked at if you are concerned as it could cause a lot of damage if it failed.

I am having a little noise issue when I accelerate heavily SOMETIMES . . its a quick little squealing noise and goes away quickly. I have looked at the front of the engine and the only thing I can really see that would cause that is the chain scraping something . . maybe a worn tensioner?? I figured a new set of tensioners is a good place to start.

Just ordered a shim and gasket for my timing chain tensioner from the dealer. Think it would be easy to install as a pretty competent shade tree mechanic? This is for rattle can fix. Am I barking up the right tree?
My first real post on here. Still have an 1800 VTX, it is pretty powerful. Had a Valkyrie before that, also pretty strong. Rocket? OMG, Insane power! Also, never really noticed that my VTX rode rough until I rode the R3. Very smooth ride and tracks very straight and true. Love it. Little worried about reliability issues after riding Hondas.
Oops, sort of a double post.

Are you talking about the spacer that goes inside the tensioner or just the gasket? the spacer is used when the plunger has dropped 16 mm or more and can be changed easily. the gasket has to have the tensioner pulled out in which you will loose your valve timing.

while tensioner is installed and tension applied you measure the drop to the plunger shoulder like below either with the Triumph tool T3880068 or a dial caliper.like below

once the plunger has dropped 16 mm the spring has lost most of its reliable tension. in which you would add a spacer that is .390 in diameter bt .350" in length. this gives the spring its tension back. oncee your pllunger has dropped 24 mm you will need to change timing chain and guides. I am working on a modification that would allow you to change to a manual tensioner and also change it without pulling the front end and loosing timing between the valves and the pistons. this is only a experiment at this point and I will be working on it once my broken back and broken wrist heals. That is if the insurance company lets me keep Gracie. If not I will experiment on the Millennium Falcon. I cannot predict how long it will take my back to heal. But I figure 6 weaks on the wrist.

Back