Cam chain, guides and 22mm drop in tensioner

avian G

.020 Over
Ride
2005 ROCKET 3
Hello all

I have a 2005 rocket and I checked the drop in the plunger with a caliper it read 22mm I installed the spacer now I want to know how long I have left before I need to tear it down and replace the chain guides chain etc

I plan on changing the lower sprocket cam sprockets the chain and the guides and key. Anything I should look out for when doing this . I've seen a guy on here who looks like he bent his valves because he had the timing mark facing the wrong direction .

Thanks

God you guys are hilarious.

I actually am not sure how much adjustment range you have once the spacer is installed. The manual should have something about it. I don't use the hydro any longer so am ignorant of it's parameters.

For OP when you order the chain, it comes with the cam sprokets, but not the crank one. There's no need to replace that one unless it's visibly worn.

We're it my bike, I'd put the spacer in, order the parts,and replace it all over the winter. Stock cam timing is extremely simple as far as timing a DOHC engine goes, just follow the manual, and use the fixture if you can, or 2x20mm wrenches and a good assistant.

If you get stuck, don't force anything or "close enough" it. Take a pic and ask for assistance here.

Last edited:
That's kinda what I was planning to do it over winter. I'll only order that sprocket if it's got wear or not as well .

Only thing that confused me is when the manual says turn the engine 15 degrees after tdc to place the cams initially. Is this so that the pistons sink a little and the valves dont touch. The pistons while your turning them and maneuvering there position to have the Mark's on the sprockets line up

Back