Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

lunatic

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
Ok, I have a question. How do you adjust this with out putting too much tension on the guide and causing premature wear on the chain guides? With the clutch cover off you can visually see it moving and feel the tension. Whats too much and whats not enough? If the cover was on I don't see how one could adjust this without over tightening it. I installed the factory tensioner and gave up on this one for now.
20190418_172555.jpg

Didn't Nev give you directions? I'm not wanting to bud in on his product and upset him. The key to remember when adjusting it is you'll be using one finger and your thumb. Not much torque. There. His turn freely, I've had the oportunity to adjust one. I'd send him a email. But adjusting is getting the slack out of the cam chain on the throttle body side. Via wrench on front, or pushing forward while in gear. Then turn with the above said appendages lightly until you feel it contact the guide then I back it off a quarter to a half turn and hold it solid while tightening up jam nut with a wrench. I won't go into adjusting while running it might make someone cringe :)

Last edited:
Didn't Nev give you directions? I'm not wanting to bud in on his product and upset him. The key to remember when adjusting it is you'll be using one finger and your thumb. Not much torque. There. His turn freely, I've had the oportunity to adjust one. I'd send him a email. But adjusting is getting the slack out of t bv e cam chain on the throttle body side. Via wrench on front, or pushing forward while in gear. Then turn with the above said appendages lightly until you feel it contact the guide then I back it off a quarter to a half turn and hold it solid while tightening up jam nut with a wrench. I won't go into adjusting while running it might make someone cringe :)

I purchased this with cams and other bits last September. He may have told me over the phone but I have sense forgot. With my age, Im lucky to remember something from last week. I didn't want to bother Nev other this. I figured someone here had done it before.

Thanks for the reply, it helped

I purchased this with cams and other bits last September. He may have told me over the phone but I have sense forgot. With my age, Im lucky to remember something from last week. I didn't want to bother Nev other this. I figured someone here had done it before.

Thanks for the reply, it helped
I doubt it would bother him if you asked. I was curious also. If I ever have the chain loose I will be ordering one of them to put in. The quality is much greater then the APE tensioner .
I was lucky enough to talk to Nev on the phone. Felt like I was talking to a Triumph God :D

Last edited:
I doubt it would bother him if you asked. I was curious also. If I ever havey chain loose I will be ordering one of them to put in. The quality is much greater then the APE tensioner .
I was lucky enough to talk to Nev on the phone. Felt like I was talking to a triumph god :D

I emailed him and got a reply back. You want to take the slack out like you described and adjust the tensioner to have no play and no preload. Basically just enough tension so there is no slack in the chain is how I understand it.

To close the loop, if the manual is too loose you can hear it while riding slowly. It sounds like exactly what it is, a rattling chain.

When you hear that, unlock it, give it a little adjustment inwards and relock.

Back