Thunderbird performance upgrades

I'm never happy with the way they come, either. I put over $5000.00 in my 09 Bonnie to get 82.5 RWHP out of a 904 BBK, head work, cams, bored out the TB''s to 38.6CM, 813 cams, ABRK, AI removed, and on and on. I got the Roadster and have started on it. What a blast of raw power and torque.
It really gets expensive building them up. I don't know what they have out for the Tbirds yet, but I would go with the 1700 and enjoy it the way it is. (if I could).
But, if it is like the bonnie, get rid of the airbox and let it breath. I haven't even looked at the setup, but if it is running an airbox for filtration, can you get around it and run filters(pods on the throttle bodies). Big improvement on my bonnie along with free flowing pipes. After that, it starts to get expensive. All triumph tunes are so generic and lean for emission reasons. You can pick up alot with a tuneboy set up and using tuneeddit, you can get on a dyno and tweak it to run its max with a perfect A/F ratio and you can adjust your timing a tad to see if that gives you more power.
This is getting to long. Good luck with your bike and let us know what you do to it.
later

As Frank states, it's rather expensive to make a cruiser go fast. The only thing I've done to my T-Bird is change out the pipes to British Customs Hog Slayers and re-mapped to the "TOR" tune. I don't feel much difference in power, however. I actually opted to go a more efficient way to get power, which is simply to get a bike that has it to begin with. I opted for the Tiger 1050. It's very comfortable, is quick/fast, and handles great. I also use it as my touring bike.

Same as what Daryl says...I'll be using the Thunderbird as a "cruiser" and if/when I get the R3 Touring I will use that as a companion bike for going back and forth to work (along with the T-bird) and for the long distance hauls as it is both fast and built for long distances.

Dennis

In Kandahar
2 dtg Dubai
5 dtg London
7 dtg Ace Motorcycle Cafe

56 dtg Dubai
57 dtg Home (Thunderbird time and, hopefully, R3T ordering time)

making a T Bird go fast is one thing, but you'll never make it go round corners quicker unless you grind holes in the exhausts- shame Triumph messed up that - the 1700 should have been a giant Bonnie imho with ground clearance to match

Talk to Brian Olsen at 'Boost is Good.' Some how force feeding air and fuel seems to improve the power band, (go figure).

Those massive counter balancers on the t-bird crank are the reason it feels so lazy i'm told, and after trading mine for an r3 that sounds right. roll on speed once moving is powerful and smooth but that bike would be the wrong choice for anyone looking for a shot of adrenlyn. my storm had floorboards & increased the lean angle.

Those massive counter balancers on the t-bird crank are the reason it feels so lazy i'm told, and after trading mine for an r3 that sounds right. roll on speed once moving is powerful and smooth but that bike would be the wrong choice for anyone looking for a shot of adrenlyn. my storm had floorboards & increased the lean angle.

That's rubbish. It has plenty of power for its size. You can't compare it to the Rocket which has 50% more torque.

Back