This thread was about Rockets and Thunderbirds. I can't pick up my bike if it falls over, and I bet I'm not the only one. I bet there are a whole bunch of people who can't pick up their rides when they fall over. That is not a disqualifying criterion for owning a particular bike. A number of folks here have commented that the Rocket is less than suitable for a daily commuter in densely populated areas, and the same is true of an 18-wheeler. I really enjoy -- as it greatly adds to my life to know the people here and be able to ride the Rocket when I can.

When *anyone* wants to ride a Rocket (or a Thunderbird in this case), we usually give them the same advice: be careful at first and get a feel for its size and power, and be welcome to this site to ask questions and receive encouragement.

Paul,
You certainly could pick it up if done correctly!

I had a xl1200c traded for a fxdli exploded then the tbird Storm 14000 miles in a year, thought I found 'the one'. The storm is comfortable enough with a decent screen to do iron butt runs on, could never say that about my sportster. The good, low seat, bright ass headlights, handles like a dream, tons of torque, plenty of passing power, 200 mile range.
The 'not so good'. very hard to push!! I could push my R3 up to jogging speed on the road (occasionally the wiring decides to quit) the tbird feels like the tires are flat trying to roll it out of the garage, 12,000 mile valve cks $$$, eats tires x2 the sporty, hard to reach kickstand. I traded my storm for my R3, after a demo on the beast I was powerless. I see a woman riding the lava red one around here sometimes and she looks happy enough.

Difference between R3? smaller, better suspension, better tranny, better electrics, better looks, harder seat, runs out of steam around 95 mph. They're blowing out leftovers 2016's for $11-12,000! Everytime I see one on sale I have to remember I don't need another bike.

I had a xl1200c traded for a fxdli exploded then the tbird Storm 14000 miles in a year, thought I found 'the one'. The storm is comfortable enough with a decent screen to do iron butt runs on, could never say that about my sportster. The good, low seat, bright ass headlights, handles like a dream, tons of torque, plenty of passing power, 200 mile range.
The 'not so good'. very hard to push!! I could push my R3 up to jogging speed on the road (occasionally the wiring decides to quit) the tbird feels like the tires are flat trying to roll it out of the garage, 12,000 mile valve cks $$$, eats tires x2 the sporty, hard to reach kickstand. I traded my storm for my R3, after a demo on the beast I was powerless. I see a woman riding the lava red one around here sometimes and she looks happy enough.

Difference between R3? smaller, better suspension, better tranny, better electrics, better looks, harder seat, runs out of steam around 95 mph. They're blowing out leftovers 2016's for $11-12,000! Everytime I see one on sale I have to remember I don't need another bike.

Back