Four of the top female motorcycle racers, each making history and breaking records on their own, gathered for a panel discussion at the Long Beach, California, stop of the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in December.

The panel of racers included, from left: AMA pro road racer Shelina Moreda; land speed record holder Leslie Porterfield; AMA pro road racer Melissa Paris; and 16-year-old AMA pro road racer Elena Myers.

Leslie Porterfield is a multi-record holder for land speed racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats. She also holds the Guinness World Record for “fastest conventional motorcycle speed” set by a woman. At 16 years old, Elena Myers is the first woman to win an AMA Pro Racing professional motorcycle road race. She did so in May 2010 at Infineon Raceway in California. Melissa Paris holds the highest finish by a female in the Daytona 200 and has won national races in the 250GP class of the USGPRU race series. And Shelina Moreda recently obtained her AMA pro license, making her one of only four women to do so. She started racing AMA Pro SuperSport last season.

Quite a crowd gathered at the Women Ride area to listen to what the panelists had to say.

Women Ride organizer Sue Slate of the Women’s Motorcyclist Foundation asked the panelists several questions, the first of which was what it’s like being a female racer in a field of men. The four all agreed that it’s a benefit in terms of getting sponsorships because female professional racers get a lot of press. Shelina said it’s eye-catching to be a woman racing with men.

Leslie said that doing panel discussions like this is one way the industry can inspire young women to get involved in racing.

Leslie also shared with the audience what it’s like setting land speed records. “When you’re going 190 mph on an unfaired motorcycle, you’re basically holding on for dear life.”

When asked about what it’s like to crash, Elena replied, “You build up tolerance to pain. Pain goes along with this. I love racing so much, so it’s not a factor.” Elena broke her foot early last season and rode her first race with that broken foot.

Shelina advises wearing the best gear you can to prepare for when you do crash.

To learn more about these fascinating women, visit their respective Web sites listed below.

LesliePorterfield.com
ElenaMyers.com

Last edited by a moderator:
No not at all ,just I cannot imagine my little lady moving a thunderbird around let alone a Rocket, but I have seen some ladies who could hold a bull out to piss

HAR! HAR! DE-HAR!
One of them there ladies has been married to me for 41 years!
Naturally you are admitting that @Tbirdgirl, who now rides Rocket is THE exception???!!!

HAR! HAR! DE-HAR!
One of them there ladies has been married to me for 41 years!
Naturally you are admitting that @Tbirdgirl, who now rides Rocket is THE exception???!!!

There is always exceptions to the rule, and there are some tiny little blokes who ride bigger bikes well, old mate Peter god bless his soul was one that comes to mind

There is always exceptions to the rule, and there are some tiny little blokes who ride bigger bikes well, old mate Peter god bless his soul was one that comes to mind

Indeed!
I miss Peter around here.
Very saddened by his passing and the lack of details provided.

I had a 2005 standard rocket but wrecked it. Currently own a 2012 Thunderbird storm. Rocket had more power but storm has good power also. The thunderbird center of gravity is much lower and turns better but it is still a big heavy bike. The rocket to me was the heaviest feeling bike I have ever owned. Had to be careful parking it as it was not that easy to back up, Very top heavy feel. The sound on the rocket was one thing I especially loved, unique. Thunderbird sounds good, and does not look like every other v-twin cruiser. I think she would need to take one for a test ride to get an idea if it would work or not. Practice turning slow speed, parking it and backing it up. If you can get to a dealer just sitting on it and seeing how it feels might help.

Last edited:
This is for all of you who have experience from both. My wife rides a Sportster but want to ride a Thunderbird Night Storm instead. How would you describe the diffences between Thunderbird and Rocket.
I´m asking because its difficault to find a Thunderbird to test but I have a Rocket.

TIA
For what this is worth. My riding mate has a 2013 T-Bird Storm as well as a 2011 Dyna Wide Glide. He has told me hundreds of times the T-Bird is his favorite Bike. (He has ridden my R3R and is considering a change to a Rocket, however...) The Dyna has lots of dust on it as it never leaves the garage. I would not compare the T-Bird Storm to a Sportster as they are not in the same performance category or level. The Storm has better brakes, better controls, more power, and it is overall a much better and far more comfortable than a Sportster. Ignore the comments about women on bikes. That is a stupid comment. My wife and a few of my friends wives or girlfriends have bikes and can ride circles around most guys on bikes these days.

Back