Y62

.060 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket, Softail Evo, BSA.
This is for all of you who have experience from both. My wife rides a Sportster but want to ride a Thunderbird Night Storm instead. How would you describe the diffences between Thunderbird and Rocket.
I´m asking because its difficault to find a Thunderbird to test but I have a Rocket.

TIA

The Tbird is no Rocket, but it's competent. Weighs everybit as much though, so the torque brings it up to speed a bit more sedately, but still gets you up there smartly. The main difference between a Sportster and a Tbird, is going to be the weight, though the Sportster might be more zippy, the Tbird will have more Interstate manners, once you get used to the weight. Also, Tbirds handle fine for what they are but they are going to be somewhat more ponderous than a Sportster til you get used to it. The Tbird might be geared lower than a Rocket to make the most of the 1700's torque curve, and it might seem more busy at speed. But it's still a very good highway cruiser.

Had I not rode a Rocket the power of the TBird would have suited me fine. Just as heavy but feels lighter and is easier to manuver due to seat position & height, rake, tire size,, etc? Smoothness on the highway is a little better. Could turn better than the Rocket but low height limits this though early peg scraping. Excellent brakes. In my opinion, it looks a and sounds better.

IMHO the new Bonneville 1200 would be more suitable for a little lady ,not so cumbersome as the Thunderbird , but if the lady is of lets say "ample proportions" then she may as well get a Rocket ,why settle for a cheese burger when for the same price you can buy a big mac or even a better a Whopper

IMHO the new Bonneville 1200 would be more suitable for a little lady ,not so cumbersome as the Thunderbird , but if the lady is of lets say "ample proportions" then she may as well get a Rocket ,why settle for a cheese burger when for the same price you can buy a big mac or even a better a Whopper
Or the triumph Bobber.

A T-Bird has a MUCH lower seat and is much easier to move about. I'm recovering from a shoulder injury and would say if upper body strength is low - then a T-Bird would be easier.
I prefer having the shaft drive of the R3 - but I've ridden shaft drive bikes for 35 years. The T-Birds belt is less jerky.

Thankyou all for your responses!
I had a 2013 Storm prior to my 2014 Rocket...a beautiful bike to ride!..I had a power commander fitted, short tors and k&n filter. The dyno tune made it run very well. The short tors and decat gave it a beaut sound and the grunt was very healthy! My cobber still has his which is the same as mine was and he loves it...sold his 2014 Wideglide with 700kms on it to buy the TBird in fact after riding mine!
Extras are readily available too including mustang seats...makes the feet forward position more comfortable. She will love it!

DSCF4396.JPG

Last edited:

Ken!
Are you saying his wife is a Whopper??? :eek: :rolleyes: :oops: :roll: :p :D

Back