That moment people realize they dun screwed with the wrong bike!

ChicagoRocket

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph Rocket 3 R Chrome Edition
Hey Gang,

Hope all of you had a glorious winter! Not too bad here in the burbs of Chicago, matter of fact our winter barely had any snow at all! Plenty of rain/cold the last 2 months though...

I finally was able to take my 16 roadster out this past weekend. It was beautiful, 70 and sunny.

I was just enjoying the roads when I see in my mirror a bunch of bikes approaching from behind. We are on a 3 lane highway, plenty of room, no traffic...

All of a sudden 5 bikes buzz past me kind of close, I looked at each bike for a split second, 2 Harley sportster 1200's, a gsxr 600, gsxr 750 and an extended hayabusa.

Either way, I thought to myself WTF, you had all this space and you buzz me??? Do you not realize you are messing with 2300cc's?? lol.

As luck would have it I caught the light with them moments later. They literally took all 3 lanes up. The 2 Harleys in the middle lane, 600/750 in the right lane and the extended busa parked in the middle on the left lane (which means I could not get in anywhere). Now I was getting a lil upset...ha.

I positioned myself behind the busa, knowing that this is the only bike that I will be following in this race. ha.

Light turns green and sure enough EVERYONE is taking off like Usain Bolt in the Olympics! I immediately pull the hammer down and literally smoke the rear tire as I fly past the 2 Harleys! I'm pulling on the 600 very easily as well and the 750 was with me up to about 50mph...the guy on the busa notices that i'm not fading away like the other jamokes and decides to give it a full go...guess what, TOO LATE...lol. around 75-80mph I fly past (and buzz him kinda close as he just did me), he attempts to recover but it's too late...i'm up to about 120mph and he is definitely gaining but the light in front of us turns red!

As I prepared for round 2 I think the grin inside my helmet was so big, that my cheekpads were stretched! haha. The guy on the busa was extremely pissed and the other 4 bikes were all giving me the thumbs up and staring at the engine etc...they were definitely trying to figure out what the hell just happened...

Light turns green AND THIS TIME everybody is much more serious...but this time I also had a front row spot and didn't have to worry about running anybody over. haha. I was ahead of everyone including the busa up to around 80mph but then the busa overcame me...it wasn't a bad loss (I think the busa rider couldn't ride the bike to it's potential). I stopped around 120mph again and the busa was about a bus length ahead of me. The others were distant memories though and with the exception of the busa all gave me a honk and thumbs up when I turned off moments later to get my starbucks. haha.

I don't think I'll ever sell this bike...what a blast!

It's fun to get a good assessment of the other bikes, then pick the target. I haven't had this opportunity on the R3 yet but it will eventually happen. Only had it 3 weeks.
I'm the unsuspecting, unassuming, minding my own business guy with no intentions on the surface. (It's hard to look unassuming on a Rocket, lol.) However, I'm grinning inside my helmet patiently waiting like a fox.
Thanks for a great account of the challenge!

I had a very similar moment last night. I arrived at the local watering hole and found a large group of "motorcycle enthusiasts" preparing to leave. One such enthusiast was astride a Boss Hoss and prepping for a burnout. I strapped the helmet back on and left the curb for a better position out in the lot. When the group left out, I fell in a couple lengths behind the Boss Hoss. At the first red light, he lumbered up like a heavy bike on a weak suspension. You've seen those types with legs flailing, trying to stay upright. He hit when the light turned green and I hammered in right behind him. By about 50mph, I had already come abreast and he realized this was a race. I heard him dig in deeper and I took the right wrist to its stops. As the world around me started to resemble the warp drive scenes from Star Wars or Star Trek, I realized that Chevy V8 couldn't keep up. When the Speedo and Tach matched up in about the 3 o'clock position, he was a distant memory. At the next light he and a buddy pulled up along each side of me. His buddy yelled over and said "No he's not boosted or bottled!" At that moment, as you did, I stretched my cheek pads from a huge Cheshire grin.

Rockets are not a common bike here in Henryetta Oklahoma. At first got challenged a lot by some of the locals on various bikes but mostly Harleys. Living in a small town word travels fast. Around town now when I run up on a local most just wave and let me be. A lot of people seem to think that just because it is such a large bike that it can not get up and go from a stop. It is fun to see their faces when you do take off and go. You would think that with the internet and all people would have a better understanding of the Rocket.

I've never gotten anyone to race me, but I love letting sport bikes trying to pass me get dead even before I drop down to 2nd gear and fishtail the rear end at 60 mph
YOU ARE A SHOWOFF and its great fun isnt it ? Its fun messing with SPORTBIKERS on a modded Rocket they have no idea what your riding and used to spanking all the cruisers so its a real shock when you blast by them when they are full throttle WOOOSH BYE BYE LOL

Back