Tail of the Dragon on new 3R

I appreciate the leads. I thought the back of the dragon was Suches to dahlonega so it's like xmas in july to get new leads for great roads. I found the blue ridge pkwy this spring, old murphey rd, some foothills, cherohala skyway is a staple and we spent aa full day 500 miles exploring Georgia. I have to say Ga roads might be better but I much prefer the resident drivers in NC, they seem to have unlimited patience when it comes to bikers(me riding like a jacka$$). My stepson had new pipes in his streetglide and after an aggressive stretch of twisties he announced the new pipes were like training wheels and just slid on them around turns, lol. hwy 28 from the hotel at the tail to Franklin is very good and deserted.

Lucky to have an unusually clear path on a Saturday in March with warm weather and a chance to play with the camera and editing. This is during the break-in period just after the first oil change and, duh, riding in "road" mode- I'm still not used to this fancy stuff.

This is not my favorite place to ride but, unfortunately, the fastest route (on backroads) to visit a friend in Crossville. I will often go out of my way to avoid the zoo that is Tail of the Dragon.

What's a better ride? The Snake (Hwy 421 in TN) by far!

This is the next video I saw that popped up after my upload, which illustrates the main problem with the Dragon- people driving/riding out of their element. Good thing those bikes in the opening frames didn't set out just a little bit later than they did.
A better ride? Every state out west has a better ride. Just saying.

Every state out west has a better ride.
Heavy Edit:

"Every state out west has a better ride" than Tail of the Dragon. Well, possibly- But, I guess that depends on how you define "better." I'm not a fan boy of TOD, so it might not be very hard to convince me, but let's go ahead and see your list.

Last edited:
Heavy Edit:

"Every state out west has a better ride" than Tail of the Dragon. Well, possibly- But, I guess that depends on how you define "better." I'm not a fan boy of TOD, so it might not be very hard to convince me, but let's go ahead and see your list.
I am not a fan boy of acronyms so enlighten me about the TOD reference please. I am curious about that, however I feel no need to convince you. You are entitled to your opinion.

I’ve ridden east and west and it’s impossible to say one is better. Curves are curves and both have views but the terrain is different.

I think it’s great just to see some videos of the Rocket actually in action. When I can stump up the cash for a GoPro, I’ll do some vids of some of our Scottish roads. I’ve already substantially ground the foot pegs on my R3!

Back