Tail of the Dragon on new 3R

My son and me are riding to the Smokey's 4/18-4/22 and if there's any local knowledge to be bestowed i'm happy to learn it. monday will be just getting there 650 miles on the hwy :( then 4 days of exploring.

Check these.

Wayah Rd.
Hiwassee dam access road to Joe brown Hwy north of Murphy
Sr1001 thru Ellijay
215 Charleys Creek rod is a nice ride connecting 215 and 281
Further to the west
315 to Reliance and 30 to 74 and back down 68 to Tellico Plains
Cherohala Skyway

Lucky to have an unusually clear path on a Saturday in March with warm weather and a chance to play with the camera and editing. This is during the break-in period just after the first oil change and, duh, riding in "road" mode- I'm still not used to this fancy stuff.

This is not my favorite place to ride but, unfortunately, the fastest route (on backroads) to visit a friend in Crossville. I will often go out of my way to avoid the zoo that is Tail of the Dragon.

What's a better ride? The Snake (Hwy 421 in TN) by far!

This is the next video I saw that popped up after my upload, which illustrates the main problem with the Dragon- people driving/riding out of their element. Good thing those bikes in the opening frames didn't set out just a little bit later than they did.
Is that the 360 go pro..? 😱

This one is on The Snake, a few hours from Tail of The Dragon.
I shot this one on the '11 Roadster, not too long after first getting the camera.....
Amazing how it just turns around but you cant see the camera, how’s long is the road like that.? Prob get a few bike crashes wouldn’t you on that road

Amazing how it just turns around but you cant see the camera, how’s long is the road like that.? Prob get a few bike crashes wouldn’t you on that road
The Snake is a phenomenal ride. "489 curves, 3 mountains, 1 valley packed into 33 miles." I've been there on weekends and had the road all to myself, and other times just passed a car (or Harley) or two :whitstling:. I'd imagine there aren't that many crashes just because it's much less popular- promoted, really.

What makes Tail of the Dragon so "dangerous" is that people ride waaay over their abilities- many have zero experience on twisty roads. Mix that with riders and drivers who are unable to stay in their lane, overcrowding, no legal passing zones, sport bikes (some talented, some not), car clubs, and you end up with lots of accidents, but there is nothing inherently dangerous about that road in comparison to hundreds of others in our area. It's just over-hyped.

Yeah, the camera stitches out the brace used to support it. The only clue is sometimes you can see the shadow on the road of the setup. It shoots 360 and then while editing you can determine which direction it looks, how wide an angle (including crazy fish-eye wide), and then panning, etc. Super cool fun.

I promise you won't regret it. The main part of the route is from Holston Valley, TN to Mountain City, TN.
Get Mike's Barbecue in Mountain City- you won't regret that either ;-).

Other routes nearby to consider are "Back of the Dragon" from Tazwell, VA to Marion, VA (Hwy 16), "The Devil's Whip" (Hwy 80) in NC down to Marion (my backyard), and "The Rattler" (NC Hwy 209 from Hot Springs).

I'll be riding in VA, Washington, D.C., PA.... starting tomorrow or I'd offer to meet up.

Enjoy!

Back