Tail of the Dragon on new 3R

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R

Lucky to have an unusually clear path on a Saturday in March with warm weather and a chance to play with the camera and editing. This is during the break-in period just after the first oil change and, duh, riding in "road" mode- I'm still not used to this fancy stuff.

This is not my favorite place to ride but, unfortunately, the fastest route (on backroads) to visit a friend in Crossville. I will often go out of my way to avoid the zoo that is Tail of the Dragon.

What's a better ride? The Snake (Hwy 421 in TN) by far!

This is the next video I saw that popped up after my upload, which illustrates the main problem with the Dragon- people driving/riding out of their element. Good thing those bikes in the opening frames didn't set out just a little bit later than they did.

I highly recommend anyone considering riding in this area getting one of these maps, then start exploring the many great rides you've probably never heard of listed there....
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 6.31.36 AM.png

Some that come to mind are The Snake, Devil's Triangle, Aces and Eights, Copperhead Rd., (all TN); The Rattler, Devils Whip, (NC); Back of The Dragon (VA).

Although some of those have some nice views in places, the rides above are mostly technical-twisty-fun.

For other maps, including one for WV, KY and VA check out... maps

These are free at many locations in the riding areas, but you can also order them and just pay shipping (about $9.00). I've found a lot of great rides using these maps.

Last edited:
My son and me are riding to the Smokey's 4/18-4/22 and if there's any local knowledge to be bestowed i'm happy to learn it. monday will be just getting there 650 miles on the hwy :( then 4 days of exploring.

Back