Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
So I'm having a problem with my bike misfiring when it gets hot, it's fine for the first half hour, and seems to get worse when it rains, though that could be a red herring. If you let it cool off it seems to be ok for a while.
Last time I was out it got bad enough that one cylinder wasn't firing at all, and I noticed that I lost my tach reading when one cylinder went out on a PC pod/autotune combination, tach reading shows zero, comes back when cylinder resumes firing. Someone suggested it sounded like a bad coil, which makes sense, and that I just had to figure out which coil the ecu took the signal from. It was also suggested that one of the coils should have an extra wire for that on one of the spade connectors, except it doesn't, all have two terminals, one wire on each. I hope it's not the front one it's almost inaccessible.
Hate to bother you, but @DEcosse ?

Oh my this is gonna be a good learning thread here. Watching with great interest as you will certainly get sorted out and I will copy and save for my turn at this issue when if it arrives.

If it's not known, I'm thinking I can unplug coils one by one maybe, see if only one causes tach loss? And all tach low tension wires just disappear into the main harness, no visible second wires spliced in. My throttle lock should be handy for keeping rpms up so it doesn't stall.

If it's not known, I'm thinking I can unplug coils one by one maybe, see if only one causes tach loss? And all tach low tension wires just disappear into the main harness, no visible second wires spliced in. My throttle lock should be handy for keeping rpms up so it doesn't stall.
Tripp’s all I could help with is coils, I have a set from penwalls if you need, I’ll be watching what you’ll come up with

I picked up a set cheap already, thanks, the only thing I can see on here that there is 3 of is 47,48, and 49, but that can't be coils, they couldn't be common hot and common ground.
R3T Electrical.jpg

Tripp’s I’ve read a lot about those connectors not being on tight and the one in the headstock is hard to check but that probably should be ruled out, I’ve read with pliars tighten up spade connector and slide back on ensuring good tight fit, that’s what she sa sorry lost train of thought

Do you get an MIL @Tripps ? That will direct you to which one is freaking out if you can grab the code off TuneECU.

But yes, the coil connectors on this model are notorious and good chance that is the issue as @Kevin frazier suggests

No ML, and my mechanic supposedly checked them, but I found one that's iffy, but it was getting dark, tomorrow I will find some needlenose and try crimping harder, but doesn't seem to fit with getting hot scenario?

Back