Crank Position Sensor.

If you want to fit a tach - Take a feed of one of teh coils.

I wondered about that possibility, but then why would I lose my tachometer reading when one cylinder cuts out? That doesn't compute, or I don't understand, anyway. I can only think the spade connector expands just slightly if it heats up, pretty sure which one if that's the case, got up early to try that and put it back together.
I'm not sure my buddy understood what I meant by low tension leads. He's been a motorcycle mechanic all his life, a wiz at some stuff, like carbs, but sometimes seems dense about other things. Sometimes he doesn't get stuff that seems common sense to me, and I'm no mechanic. I sure hope this is it, nothing worse than intermittent problems.

I wondered about that possibility, but then why would I lose my tachometer reading when one cylinder cuts out? That doesn't compute, or I don't understand, anyway. I can only think the spade connector expands just slightly if it heats up, pretty sure which one if that's the case, got up early to try that and put it back together.
I'm not sure my buddy understood what I meant by low tension leads. He's been a motorcycle mechanic all his life, a wiz at some stuff, like carbs, but sometimes seems dense about other things. Sometimes he doesn't get stuff that seems common sense to me, and I'm no mechanic. I sure hope this is it, nothing worse than intermittent problems.
tripps I think you can check ohms to on ours by disconnecting spark plug wire for coil to be checked and the two leads on said coil then measure across coils for the ohm reading, when a coil heats up if it’s bad internal copper could be freaking out and shorting. Well I did this for ya

Attachments

• 03FDFF7F-3FA7-40F5-B558-73F0CE014A0D.jpeg
    03FDFF7F-3FA7-40F5-B558-73F0CE014A0D.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 2
  • EA9CCC5E-959F-4BEE-96F4-AF514D8549A9.jpeg
    EA9CCC5E-959F-4BEE-96F4-AF514D8549A9.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 1
tripps I think you can check ohms to on ours by disconnecting spark plug wire for coil to be checked and the two leads on said coil then measure across coils for the ohm reading, when a coil heats up if it’s bad internal copper could be freaking out and shorting. Well I did this for ya
Sorry just noticed light blocked second reading both 01.9 to 02.0 ohms

Son of a biscuit, I hope that was it. Several definitely loose, the front inner one, one spade connector, took about an hour and a half. Got it on once, I could kind of tell it was cocked, probably only under one side of female connector. Pulled off, :mad: carefully made sure both sides were perfect, finally, an hour in, got it back on, and....
it was loose, all the wiggling and manipulation must have opened it up
Heartbroken, I pulled it off again, fixed and test fit on outer tab, spent another half hour getting it back on. Not as tight as I'd like, but I think ok.
Man, I have a whole new respect for @Dr.D :notworthy:

@Tripps If you feel up to it, this is a good reason for a COP conversion, you'll never have this issue again. Glad youseem to have found the problem.

Regarding tach signal and people saying the touring doesn't have a tach so there's no signal, well, that's not quite right. It definitely has a signal for RPM into the ECU, as mentioned, it's the crank position sensor.

Back