Stripe Delete/Removal

No doubt that's exactly why they do it that way.

I'm actually going to skip the removal on the tank, and just cut the new stripes the exact width of the stock tank stripes, then carry that width down the rest of the bike to match.

As I recall, the OEM stripe widths and separation in between varies between the fenders and tank.

Funny you mention that. I never noticed they were different until I started to take it off. All three areas, different width strips, but the tank and fender are the same gap between the stripes.

Ok, here's the poop........ I think.....
All of the "matte black" paint IS clear coated over - the clear coat has a "flattener" mixed into it that causes the clear to be flat or not have gloss.
I haven't noticed when looking at the flat black/white stripe bike, but I imagine the white stripes are also "matte/flat" to match the matte black. So I guess the vinyl stripes are glossy & they spray the flattened clear coat over the stripes as well as the black. that, or just to keep the stripes from peeling up at the edges & protect the stripes from getting nicked up would be the only reason to c/c over them.

Putting the stripes down on the matte black (actually it is just regular gloss black w/flat c/c over it) & then c/c'ing doesn't save Triumph money because time is money. To do that you would have to spray the color, then let it dry before striping, and if too much time passes from paint time to stripe time, then you have to color sand before c/c'ing - then stripe & c/c. so that's a long process just to be clearing over stripes. The other way, you spray the color, then only allow a small "flash time" then go on with the c/c. then stripe after c/c is dry. much faster process.

Clear as mud now????? o_O

The stripe area isn't cleared, Im pretty positive about that. The raw paint underneath is extremely easy to scratch and there is a distinct step between the cleared and under stripe area.

It's a moot point though, because either way, it would need a respray if you don't want to add new stripes, the color matches where they were removed just fine, just shine is different and the stepped height is quite visible.

If you plan on doing this might be a good idea to have it re-cleared before reinstalling anyways so they will come off easier in the future.

Last edited:
The stripe area isn't cleared, Im pretty positive about that. The raw paint underneath is extremely easy to scratch and there is a distinct step between the cleared and under stripe area.

It's a moot point though, because either way, it would need a respray if you don't want to add new stripes, the color matches where they were removed just fine, just shine is different and the stepped height is quite visible.

If you plan on doing this might be a good idea to have it declared before reinstalling anyways so they will come off easier in the future.

That is exactly right! & why they should clear coat the entire painted area after the base color & before the stripes are applied :thumbsup:

I did some stuff today, front turn signals converted to wraps, bags off, rear peg delete, front wheel hardware 100% converted to Ti now.

Well here she is, stripes 1/2 done, tank this weekend:
IMG_20160831_184932.jpg
IMG_20160831_184939.jpg
IMG_20160831_184958.jpg
IMG_20160831_185429.jpg

I must admit, laying the vinyl is the easiest step... The measuring, cutting masking, cleaning etc is by far worse than actually working with 3M 1080 vinyl.

Doing tank, then fly screen, then I might try my hand at the gauges, they'll be the very last chrome pieces.

Back