Still having idle issues

If it were a vacuum leak it would be all the time. If I flick the kill switch where the engine electrics reset . . gauges cycle and everything, but engine never actually dies, all is good. No more problems until I shut off the bike. Works every time.

It may well be the idle stepper motor. I had the same problem. When I turned on the ignition, I watched the stepper motor, all seemed ok. But, when I used my fingers to check for any free play, it would move back just slightly, maybe 1mm at most. So, I used tuneecu to bring the voltage back to what it was before I changed it. Back to 0.69v for my bike. It worked a treat. The recommended 0.72v was not good for my motor and 0.69 just works!

It may well need adjusting so that it returns to position with no freeplay. Maybe tighten a few turns or 4. Worth a try I guess.:)

Lubing the throttle linkage worked for a while but the high idle problem I was experiencing came back. So I cleaned the crank angle sensor and that helped for a while. However, I had put off changing the oil and went to the 13k miles mark since the last change (usually I do it every 10k) so I changed the oil and cleaned the crank angle sensor again. I think that is going to do the trick, the bike idles better than ever and returns to idle faster than it used to. Putting the crank angle sensor back into a bath of old, metal laden, oil, defeated the purpose of cleaning the sensor in the first place.

I think I will start changing the oil at 5k intervals instead of 10k and clean the crank angle sensor at every oil change.

Back