Still having idle issues

boogerdave

Nitrous
Ok, I have had the TPS replaced twice . . now has new one, and it came back idling just fine. A few hundred miles later I am having idle issues . . high idle . . and if I flick the kill switch it will idle down and continue working that way until I shut off and restart the bike. BUT, on my trip to NC last weekend, I started hearing what sounds like either the timing chain or a little pre-ignition ping. Not really sure. Then again I may just be listening too closely and hearing stuff that has been there. Dunno.

I have re-installed the tune . . . twice just to make sure. No change.

Question: Has anyone else had this problem and RESOLVED it with the idle?

What does it do when you flick that kill switch and reset without the engine actually stopping turning? Does it affect timing in any way?

Any suggestions? I have heard stepper motor but the dealer seems to think that is a witch hunt. He said they reset the stepper motor when they did the TPS.

Setup is 2007 with TORS, cat box gone, tuneboy, O2 sensor bypassed, K&N stock filter replacement.

Your bike is old like mine.. Could have a vacuum leak. The rubber that holds the throttle bodies to the heads had deteriorated some. I am not SURE that cured it, as I had other issues as well.. but it's a suggestion.. Also, the stepper motor can get dirty and stick.. When you turn the key off, the stepper motor resets.

Come to think of it, I need to check that on mine, because mine has started the 2,000 RPM idle on rare occaision again..

Undo the crank angle sensor just under your side stand it has two little screws to undo then pulls out . Check it for metal shavings as it has a magnet on it . Clean it and reinstall. This can cause high idol and is a five min fix. Mitch

I was having issues with my idle running amok. It would stutter and sputter along or it would sit at 3000 RPM and overheat the bike.

My guys at GP BIKES (A Triumph Authorized shop) adjusted the IDLE SPEED CONTROL STEPPER MOTOR and re-installed the correct tune. No issues since.

His dealer already adjusted that though sounds more like a dirty crank angle sensor to me . Have you also done a tps reset since having the new one ?

I assume that was done by the dealer when he installed the TPS. Also he told me he had re-setup the stepper motor I'll try the crank sensor. That sounds like a plan as well as clean and lube stepper motor

I was having high idle issues recently, even up to 3000 rpm. I just sprayed the throttle linkage with wd 40 and it seems to have fixed it.

When I took my bike into to have the recall idle tune installed the mechanic noticed the friction cruise control and said to take it off because it was causing the throttle to not always completely return back to the zero throttle position. She said that over time the ecu would adjust to this and screw things up. I would think a sticky throttle linkage would do the same thing.

That said, if it returns I am going to clean the crank angle sensor, and if that does not work, I will replace the primary tps.

I agree it sounds like vac leak. I am a big fan of removing the purge tank, and plugging all lines with good grade vac plugs.
All that **** leaves you open for a bunch of bull****

Back