John Ward

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 Classic 2008
Ey Up rocket people.. Well today tried to start the rocket but all I get is clicks from the starter area... think bugger mi battery has died..then on last try it spun over as usual and started! I let it run a while, stopped it 3 times and it started ok. Anyway called for some gas and click click it wouldn't spin the starter..gave it a last try and it started just fine. I'm thinking its the solenoid on the starter...can you get a refurb kit for the beast? Or do I have to buy a whole new unit?

Was it an easy fit?
I never even opened them. I did open the oem one up clean the contact area and filed the plunger contact area stuffed in the new Toyota motor in it. And it worked like a champ. Then I found out about the kits ordered them and thru them up on the shelf so I would have them when one actually fails :) yes I'm the Polock.

What was said above about contacts on the cable ends is really important. Ive seen guy come to a ride wonder why they keep throwing a ecu malfunction code. Makes me look kind of smart when I hook up to the bike tp check a few things and it works so much better after I tighten the two battery cables :D

Just looking at the how to remove starter motor online and it says you have to drop the pipes off and cat!!!! Is this true?? Just to remove the starter motor? Mines a classic 3 piper with a dave platt cat delete box on... is there room to wiggle it out do you think??

John ,I think you'd be better off if you removed the pipes,it'll give you better access to get the battery cable off/on the starter
. Remember and use a spanner on the lower nut when you are retightening the cable back to the starter.

Upgrading the earth cable is a good idea- I make an upgraded one that is a direct replacement.
Also I have found that replacing the starter relay with a quality replacement and making sure the terminals inside the relay mounting block have a good connection - I also clean the terminals out and re dilectric grease them.

Back