Here are the piece parts that make up the solenoid assembly. (click on each image to see full size). 20150927_122336.jpg 20150927_122348.jpg 20150927_122401.jpg
When the starter button is pushed the copper surfaces on these two parts come into contact, energizing the starter. These surfaces burn/corrode/oxide causing poor contact. This greatly increases the amount of current required to make the beast turn over, hence the clicking. Cleaning will help, for a while. The long term fix is a higher power starter and stronger battery. Heavier cables will help, too.

gR3yWolf,
I'm curious about the starter you're recommending.

Is it the complete starter? Including the motor, solenoid, and housing?
Direct replacement without modification?

If so; I'm sure there's a lot of interest in it and posting the part number would be appreciated by many.

You only use the electric motor and solenoid portion of the new starter, and reuse the front hear portion of your Rocket starter. I had to grind down the new starters' plunger rod to match that of the Rocket starter. Not a complicated operation.

Just wondering, in Aus, what's the replacement 1.4 starter motor and where can I get one?
Hi Gary,
I got mine from an early 2.2lt 4 cylinder camry. Pic with pink pen markings and the description in yellow and you only use the motor part (long bolts) the solenoid contacts are interchangeable but not the plunger.
Also open up the solenoid cover then remove the plunger, i also loosen the remove the contacts and linish/sand the contact areas and replace. When replacing before you tighten it all up push the plunger down onto the contacts to align them for good contact, I them use a sharpie or niko to coat the contact area and push the plunger down and give it a turn to reveal how much contact area i have then make adjustments as necessary.
pic inside the solenoid is how mine came new the contacts are not flat thus reducing the contact area.
Hope this helps
IMG_1124-2.jpg
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG

Back