Start Button Issues

Dielectric grease doesn't conduct electricity. Otherwise, it could short stuff out. Just thought it might exclude water and dust.

Ten years is a pretty good service interval!

Ten years is a pretty good service interval!

For a bike that has lived it's life in a garage hundreds of feet from the ocean the electrics look OK. The chrome not so much. The prior owner rarely cleaned the bike. I live a few blocks from the ocean and it takes way too much time to keep corrosion in check.

I debated doing it but for a 10 year old bike the contacts looked pretty good. I was unsure how the grease would effect conductivity. Generally dielectric grease is used to displace water by acting as a barrier and make disassembly easier. It certainly wont improve conductivity especially between two moving contacts that squeeze together instead off slide.

Consider Deoxit from Radio Shack.

Consider Deoxit from Radio Shack.

Radio Shack is kaput. :)

I can't see any spray cleaner fully removing all the oxidation and whatever debris was in there.

In additon to fixing the switch, I soldered the 4 battery terminals. Key to soldering the battery terminals is using a strong acid like Muratic to desolve the oxidation and then fully flush with water. Some good flux and a big azz soldering iron and you are done. Starter spins up fine now.

Deoxit is supposed to dissolve oxidation on contacts then enhances the contact. Lots on Google about it.

Stabilant 22 is similar and the product I'm familiar with. It enhances electrical contacts without really having to clean them. Works like a dream in getting rid of poor or intermittent contact issues on relays, push buttons, or any other kind of electrical contact. It works. Also a lot of testimonials about the product.

Back