Switch issues.

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Recently have been stuck in the rain more often than not. Have had some issues with water coming out of switches on both sides of handlebars along with some strange #hit. Brights to low no lights at all. Turn signal left very slow to come on. Start button hit or miss. Kind of figured it's a moisture problem. What type of cleaner for electrical connections is best?

One can of Permatex electrical cleaner and all is good. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Stuff works great. Ran some silicon on switch housings and believe we got it sealed up from the weather.:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Sonny. Now they are clean - spray ACF-50 inside. Or use their grease.

Silicone imo NOT a good idea. Moisture will still get in via the switch holes. Now it's trapped. Best thing for water ingress - is get it out as fast as possible.
Did use some grease for electrical connections but figured the silicone used around housing's could not hurt. The amount of moisture inside the switch housing's was not good. Thanks for the heads up on the silicon. Everything works fine now. Start button was in bad shape. Have to admit that after 48,000 miles this was the first time i did any maintenance on switch's. That is not going to happen again.

it happen to me on a very wet trip home from Phillip Island lights were changing themselves from hi to low and back, after I dried them out I just filled both switch housing with Dielectric grease and never had the problem again even after riding torrential rain for 3 hours !!!!!

it happen to me on a very wet trip home from Phillip Island lights were changing themselves from hi to low and back, after I dried them out I just filled both switch housing with Dielectric grease and never had the problem again even after riding torrential rain for 3 hours !!!!!

I have had good luck in the past with di-electric grease and all sorts of electrical connections, to include the wiring in Las Vegas style LED display boards.

Back