Start Button Issues

Busaboy

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III
My Bike has had issues starting. It was common to push Start button multiple times before starter spun. Based on a search of the forum I opened the right control to gain access to the Start button. Two big screws to remove the switch assembly from the control and one small screw and a zip tie gets access inside the button itself. As shown below the three elements were tarnished. The two center contacts are similar to relay contacts. The spring is some unknown alloy and the ring is brass. I was reluctant to use the recommended spray cleaner since I know it will not fully remove the tarnish and oxidation.

First I used vinegar to get rid of the white/green oxidation followed by a water rinse. Next I used a "low abrasive" mechanical means to remove the remaining tarnish. I used a "brown" metal polish and it did a great job. The brass ring is a pain however. It took lots of rubbing and some scraping. So far so good. Starting only requires one push.

Left is the button contact, center is the conical spring and right is the other contact and brass ring

Attachments

• IMG_20150918_122736848_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150918_122736848_HDR.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My Bike has had issues starting. It was common to push Start button multiple times before starter spun. Based on a search of the forum I opened the right control to gain access to the Start button. Two big screws to remove the switch assembly from the control and one small screw and a zip tie gets access inside the button itself. As shown below the brass elements were all tarnished. I am reluctant to use the recommended spray cleaner since I know it will not fully remove the tarnish. I'm going to use a "low abrasive" mechanical means to remove the tarnish and possibly use some dielectric grease.

Left is back of button, center is spring and right is two switch contacts

-IS1nZAQxGSobRWLlzqGl_QqefoFPUxlL8z8MhhKDLsNCCoSlM2M8kQYRQsj2vQwS923Ngp5xicqN8yYaKpcpALzOcXJUVe9bWxX8skDurougUoMUd9Y27M8kVsrCSsxErzphMq7RZVwg3YXJC0amp1S6muRMDSn7hRabSl8HYWh7VsKvAal8Z7x6ZyijmFD5m1JTQcV7Fz3AaqThsK8Mps12NIiARBvISfEDc-M50bXUvL2ghnMqMQB09qlmEM8UR1wHxv6VUKTN40oLrOCmECsY2pMh57HuYd9eTwIYXRz3U5UF3OscVZEz035hFdV32Ceiyti1pwFInhCUZI1r9ohcJ1iebgdKLYLR_sBOdihqGnvDNPwBlXviOneVsbe6-Y5pcpOYbuG-h0heukH-rFnYzJSy_RmTn8cUhIbyv3xWfJYDPFBCNtidzx1HDXAPWdfIpjL43zFYc8qHiwqi021BRRfHH72kok5lVRzw9UjUQBBakzrr8CQxzlAVE8CUSwKHB3PElLQBX2e0QfkhqLldVJsl-o1HACmIKF2Mms=w1280-h721-no
just wait until you get a look at the contacts on the starter solenoid :(

I'm sure they look like crap but they should be designed to handle high currents and should be "self cleaning". Are there intermittant problems with the solenoid?
By self cleaning you are kidding I hope. no real problems I just noticed the contacts get scrubby which might be from not getting the best amount of current possible. There is a kit you can buy from the UK fairly cheap to replace the contacts and plunger.

By self cleaning you are kidding I hope. no real problems I just noticed the contacts get scrubby which might be from not getting the best amount of current possible. There is a kit you can buy from the UK fairly cheap to replace the contacts and plunger.

Not kidding. "Contacts" have special properties so they dont' "weld" together. They also "self clean" as long as you stay within the electrical limits.

if mine were self cleaning they must have been pretty dirty when they were new.
the wheel is designed to rotate to make a new contact each time it is energized i definitely would not call it self cleaning and have never heard that definition before but there is always the first time and i guess it is u.

if mine were self cleaning they must have been pretty dirty when they were new.
the wheel is designed to rotate to make a new contact each time it is energized i definitely would not call it self cleaning and have never heard that definition before but there is always the first time and i guess it is u.

When you have worked with contactors and relays you can get detailed data sheets and tech assistance. Even the lowly contactor/relay took many decades to make reliable. The variations in designs especially for high voltage and current is mind boggling. I have only been exposed to a tiny number of types. Google self cleaning plus relay or contactor. Tons of patents alone on the subject.

Last edited:
I cleaned the contacts on the starter button several years back and have not needed to do it since. The solenoid contacts can also start to look "interesting" after many, many starts.

Suggest that a small amount of dielectric grease be added before reassembly, to protect parts against moisture.

I debated doing it but for a 10 year old bike the contacts looked pretty good. I was unsure how the grease would effect conductivity. Generally dielectric grease is used to displace water by acting as a barrier and make disassembly easier. It certainly wont improve conductivity especially between two moving contacts that squeeze together instead off slide.

Last edited:
Back