Speedmaster vs 883 Low

Absolutely. every chance I get. You know how the Rocket hates loose gravel (remember, I dropped mine) and it feel squirrely on anything loose....The KLR loves gravel and dirt roads. At my advanced age, I can powerslide that little sucker sideways on our dirt road...and feel in complete control. I've had the bike over 80 on gravel roads and there isn't a hint of ill haqndling, I've been across streams and through the woods. It putts along, very quietly...sounds like a lawnmower. Nuth'in like 80 on gravel, looking in the mirror and seeing a roostertail of dust....

The road manners are good too. It's faired so it cuts the wind around your body. It could stand a bit more power but the engine is as reliable as a rock...Kawasaki has been building the 650 twin cam single in the KLR for over 20 years now with minimal refinements. It's basically bulletproof. Uses 15-40 Rotella motor oil and regular gas, is carbureted and chain drive, all simple and reliable. I personally know of 2 guys that rode them to Alaska from here in Michigan and back again.

I'll have to correct you on a couple of statements. The engine is detuned for the scrambler but not the Bonnie......I haved one. There is no vibration. The engine has counter rotating balancer shafts and finally, the sporty might go 90 but over 65, if you hit a speck of fly **** in the road, you are going on your ass, plain and simple. Besides, the 883 and the 1200 are uncomfortable bikes with ancient engineering and marginal brakes.

I'd say Daves. His is the other one. He wears out tires faster than I do, so it must be faster. You guys think the Metz is bad....KLR's eat tires, all of them. 4K on a rear and maybe 8 on a front if you ride like an old fart, all the time.

Loose that Tecumseh or is it a Kohler.....and drop in a 2300 inline 3...Rocket motor. There is room.

My Cushman had a Kohler and it was all enclosed, kind of like a Rokon but quicker and only RWD.

I've driven sportsters for years including the 2016. My wife has a speedy. The speedy looks better, sounds better , sounds better and rides infinitely better. It's in a different class. I don't relate to most o the comments here.The speedy is one of the most beautifully designed bikes ever made. Every curve matches every other...it's art. Compare this to any Harley. There is no design flow whatsoever. Every Harley in my view seems designed from a 'right lads , what bit shall we bung on here'. Just look at them!
Do wish the Speedy had more top end grunt that's it!

Last edited:
From my experience, there is NO substitute for what SHE likes. Your wife is smart enough to have picked you out of a crowd -- I'm betting she'll pick what motorcycle works best for her, be HER criteria.

I would suggest looking for a used 2014 or later Honda CTX700D. This may be sacrilege here -- the bike was designed by Honda to be an every-person bike. Your wife will likely be able to flat foot it, it has an automatic transmission so she can pay attention to traffic, and of course, Honda quality backed by a nationwide, dense support network. And it has matching luggage so she can carry stuff.

It's true the 883 is pretty well all done around 65mph....but it is also said that it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. So the little sporty is fine in the twisties. No it won't handle like a ****** rocket, but it's light and fairly flickable. It is a small frame and that makes it a compromise for tall riders. Even with forwards, you'd need hiway pegs to stay on the bike very long.

Had a 2012 speedy...nice ride. I think you said its carby??..its fuel injected, just looks like a carby. There is heaps you can do to the speedy to change to suit....very torquey motor too...well balanced and comfy ride.

I will have to say I am a big fan of the '04 and up Sportsters. They are extemely low maintenance (hydraulic lifters, so no valve shim check). The Sportster Custom sits very low and comes with a 4.5 gallon tank, and looks really cool, and is in the same price range as the Speedmaster.

Triumph has always been in my blood and I like the Speedmaster as well, a very sporty look, and they sound really good with aftermarket pipes. Like our Rockets, not everyone has a Speedmaster, so it may get her a little more attention as well.

If she's like my wife, she says she's not worried about the attention, but... when she pulls up on her Trophy at the local bike night and people start gathering around asking her questions, she sure seems to enjoy it.. :D

The Sportster Custom is closer to the Speedmaster in specs and price. The Sportster low is a very, very basic bike and does not sit that much lower than the Custom. Also, you get stiffer shocks with the Low to help make up for the lack of suspension travel.

Basically, you can't go wrong with either one. I would let her decide and go from there. My wife test rode the Honda ST1300 and Yamaha FJ1300, and she is the one who decided to get a used Trophy 1200 instead, and she couldn't be happier!
The SPORTY is a crude bike that has a small tank a lousy ride and is 60 lbs heavier that offsets the little bit of trq advantage its a no brainer the TRIUMPH wins

One thing the Speedmaster and America have going for them is you can ride them all day long. I love my 2005 America and she has proven to be a dependable and easy bike to ride.

I took the America to Tennessee and Kentucky. I did over 1500 miles in 4 days and I could have kept on riding.

The bike is easy to work on fun to customize. It is a great bike for new riders, but can meet your needs for years to come.

and as you already know, do you really want your little lady riding just another Harley................Sorry I got carried away.

Oh by the way thanks for giving me an excuse to post a pic of my bike.

Back