Slimmed down R3

Have you thought about the pipes after the headers? Maybe something like these. . .

20150504_R3_2.jpg

20150504_R3_1.jpg
iii
Have you thought about the pipes after the headers? Maybe something like these. . .

20150504_R3_2.jpg

20150504_R3_1.jpg
I did agonize over that, but I got lazy and didn't want a headache with certification. The rules are rightly quite strict here in NZ and I wanted the bike legal. Ended up dropping the headers into the original plumbing.

I bought this bike as a wreck and decided to slim it down not really knowing how it would end up. First to go was the radiator. Replaced with a custom dual core. Always disliked the twin headlights so sourced a single headlight and shoe-horned it into the cowling along with the speedo and tach. The ignition had to be moved so found a spot just behind the oil container. I chose the seat from a 2019 HD Livewire and fabricated the framework to support it. That meant I needed different shaped sidecovers which I fabricated with an angular theme to match the custom front guard. Original headers had to go. Built these 1' 3/4 diameter beauties. I had to move the rear brake reservoir away from the heat zone. New rear shocks and a custom tail tidy. Motogadget front indicators fitted to handlebar ends.

I'm looking for a second hand Ozclaw to cover the expansion bottle and air filter.

IMG_1518[1].JPG
IMG_1514[2].JPG
IMG_1513[1].JPG

IMG_1519[1].JPG
Nicely done Jack 👌
If you venture up Northland give us a shout, be great to take a look in the flesh (more so metal 👍)

Thanks Razman.
I knew that I wanted to remove some bulk but I didn't know exactly where I was heading.
I'm very happy with the end result, especially finding a seat that would marry up to the tank.
I originally ordered a set of headers from Paul Bryant but he let me down so I ended up making my own.
Do you have any info you can share on the radiator? It looks much better than standard - really modernises the older Rocket. :cool:

very nicely done I think what Compleat it would be a short fender to the license plate will finish it off.
your radiator looks smaller than stock? did you get a smaller radiator made?

Do you have any info you can share on the radiator? It looks much better than standard - really modernises the older Rocket. :cool:
I had it custom made from my drawings. The key to a smaller radiator is to have it made from a twin core. The originals are only a single core. Of course it’s now thicker so I had to customise the steering stops otherwise the forks will hit the top header tank. I didn’t get to technical with the drawings I just made sure there were well placed threaded buttons recessed into the header tanks. I then adapted brackets that would bolt onto the tank and line up with the original radiator mounts in the frame.

Nicest First Gen Rocket I've ever seen. Great job. Personally, the long tail pipes seem a bit dated, or more "chopper" themed. But if that's your cup of soup, more power to you (that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla). Headers are spectacular.

Superb.
That's the best looking stripped back Rocket III i've ever seen.
Great attention to detail everywhere that goes to form a fully cohesive design. Looks great from every angle.
i'm impressed :)

Back