Sidecar Driver Question

CCjon

All who wander... seeking fresh cup of coffee
Ride
2011 R3 sidecamper, GSA/EZS rig
Hi, am a six year sidecar driver looking for a stronger bike to push my camper sidecar rig around. The current tug, a Vstrom1000 is geared down but is being pushed to its limit. Am seriously considering a Rocket 3 for this use.

GooseBay.jpg

Any one have experience or comments on using an R3 as a sidecar tug?

Thanks for any comments or insights.

CCjon

Hi, am a six year sidecar driver looking for a stronger bike to push my camper sidecar rig around. The current tug, a Vstrom1000 is geared down but is being pushed to its limit. Am seriously considering a Rocket 3 for this use.

GooseBay.jpg

Any one have experience or comments on using an R3 as a sidecar tug?

Thanks for any comments or insights.

CCjon
Firstly Welcome to the Forum,The Rocket will do it with ease I used to tow a 1/2 ton Camper (highly modified with lots of extra comforts of home) behind my Rocket and it hardly new it was there

IDK, I do fine with a 1980 650 cc r65 for my side car rig, do whatever you want, Rocket will work fine.

Thank you all. The rig weighs 1700 lbs, but is more about pushing that wall of air in front. Thus looking at a possible R3 tug with more torque and beefier clutch/tranny.

Since this rig will be modified and wired for travels on miles and miles of remote gravel and muck roads (think the Haul Road in Alaska and such), am looking for a used R3 to bash, splash and play with.

Are there any R3 years that would be better for this type of remote adventure riding?

The newer you can afford the better. I think you want to focus on 08 on up to current. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Back