Should the handlebar wiggle...

kjones256

.020 Over
Ride
'13 Rocket III Touring
I installed a set of risers that are roughly about 3-4" high with about a 2" pull. Unlike the OEM which has a bolt with an allen head coming from the top and a nut on the bottom, these had a hex bolt going up with a pressure washer and the large flat washer. After tightening the bolt with a ratchet I got concerned that the handlebar rocks back and forth a bit. Is that normal? Thanks for your responses.

I know that on the touring the handle bars will have a little more give in them with the risers, it's all a leverage thing. I am trying to recall, aren't they kind of rubber mounted through the triple tree?

bob

Assuming everything is properly assembled and tightened you will probably notice a little more movement in the bars due to the increase in height. Same thing happens when installing higher bars. As Bob said...it's a leverage thing.
Again...provided everything is fastened properly. Usually this is caused by the bushings, most stock bushings are just cheap soft rubber. This may be particularly noticeable when sitting still and moving the bars or pushing the bike around. The "fix" is to replace the handlebar bushings with a stiffer set, urethane or a solid bushing. Remember the harder they are the easier vibrations transfer through to your hands. Solid bushings are generally only used when you get into some of the high ape hangers.
I have Rivco risers on my bike but noticed no more movement than before. The other side of that is I installed urethane risers on my HD after installing higher bars and no problems. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Again, all non-Touring owners need to check the forum. The Touring differs in many way from the rest of them.

Yes, on the Touring it's normal that the handlebars wiggle back and forth a little. They're rubber mounted.

The risers are indeed rubber mounted and rubber inside tends to wear out as has happened with my bike. The handlebar moves up and down too much now. I tried to replace them with no luck at all. I already have the new metal/rubber bushings but decided to leave the job for a pro mechanic.

I guess installing higher risers might make the wear out faster???

Should be noted that MANY Harley owners with high bars/risers fit SOLID BUSHES for this very reason.
Had I kept my Harley I would have done so.
Some fit Poly-bushes which come in varying "hardness" and last pretty much for ever.
High bars flex enough to kill the vibes.

Bushes PROTECT the Yokes from bar-leverage-damage in case of a fall!.

That´s right but Triumph should have used better quality bushes or made them easier to replace. I don´t believe there are poly-bushes available for the R3T so we are stuck with the original rubber ones.

Back