Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

Believe me, I am not saying a Rocket Roadster is the best for two-up touring. My motors are, "hooray for me and screw you" solo toys. Riding double severely inhibits rider comfort and most importantly, the ability to Hoon! Consistant with these days of women's lib, I would prefer my woman and other women (and I ride with many) to be on their own motor. There are motors designed for pure touring. At this point in my life, I don't need one . . . Yet.
I don't know. There are a couple of machines out there very capable of touring and hooning. I'm lusting after a specific model at the moment but can't justify the price...yet!

I'm happy that the trip worked out.

Buying a second hand bike more suitable to the road conditions and optionally selling it later seems sensible.

If you're sticking with the R3R here are some other things to consider for touring:

1. Do you really need the extra power?
I did my intake/exhaust mods just before taking a 25 day 9,800 mile trip.
Pipes, filters, Power Commander and custom tune were around US$2,300.
The drop in MPG cost me over US$150 in gas. I love the increased performance but it could have waited.

2. Your 2012 is 8 years old so unless you've been doing all the maintenance it may be time to go through the checklist and do all the checks and all renewal items (plugs, radiator flush, brake fluid renewal, diff etc.).

3. I love my throttle rockers (wrist rests to take some strain off forearms). I don't ride without them.

4. I like my Throttlemeister manual throttle lock on my old bike but the Go-Cruise 2 poor-man's-cruise-control works fine and was cheaper.

5. Kuryakyn or other ergonomic grips are a must.

6. Look at seat upgrade and/or cushion. I use an AirHawk air mattress on long trips - Available for pillion too.

7. Improve the horn. I use Denali Soundbombs on mine but there are other options to replace/augment the sissy one.

8. Improve rear visibility. I almost got squished by a truck last October so will be working on mine. LEDs...

9. Suspension is key as per recommendations on your other thread.

10. Windshield - it looks like you have the small one like mine. I'm getting too old to take the beatings!!

11. Did your Roadster come with the luggage rack?
If not you can get one if you want to do a similar mod to avoid buying or making brackets for a top box.

On my R3R I removed the OEM backrest and bolted a Givi e251 mounting plate to the rack and use a Givi E460 Top Case with a back rest and small rack. It locks into the mounting plate and can be taken off easily.

IMG_2522.JPG
Love your set up

I wager your body could stand up to that ride in 1985. Would you do it today on a Rocket ?
Nope, but that is becAUSE THE REAR TIRE IS JUST TOO stoopidly BIG AND TREADLESS FOR ANY DISTANCE ON DIRT.

If you are not doing dirt for any great distance much over 50km or so the Rocket would be fine.

Believe me, I am not saying a Rocket Roadster is the best for two-up touring. My motors are, "hooray for me and screw you" solo toys. Riding double severely inhibits rider comfort and most importantly, the ability to Hoon! Consistant with these days of women's lib, I would prefer my woman and other women (and I ride with many) to be on their own motor. There are motors designed for pure touring. At this point in my life, I don't need one . . . Yet.
WOW bunch of old buzzards you all need GEEZERGLIDES and GOLDWINGS LOL

Yeah you need a real offroad tourer like my 1985 K100RT when they first came out. ;):D

It did the Gibb River Road through Tunnel Creek to Wyndham from Derby on way back from Broome to Darwin with a mate on his new R80G who had a horror ride on his semi offroad tyres. The K100RT had stock road Continentals or Metzlers from memory and floated over the corrugations at 140kmh plus while the poor old R80G could only manage 130 flat out and couldn't float over the corrugations. The Year after went from Darwin to Wyndham and Kununurra again with a mate on his '75 Ducati GT860 with a SS type fairing and paint like the 900 SS below. We then went on to Alice Springs, Ayers Rock and dirt to the Olgas still then. His Ducati did not attempt the Olgas but clocked a 100,000 on the tripmeter just before we got back to Darwin.

I knew a few who did the Tanami Rd from Alice Springs to Halls Ck etc about 500 km rough seal single unmarked lane and another 1000km of dirt on road bikes like '79 Suzuki G1000 towing a trailer 2 up.
I did that road many times in 4x4 but 500km of dirt at a time was was enough for me on a bike!

Funny how we remember siting on 140km/hr along outback roads in the 70s & 80s but if you cruise at that now the group disappears astern. Aka RDU Gwydir run

Love your set up

Thanks, it's almost finished.

Just as an FYI This is where I put the top case on my '05. I ride solo so I stripped the padding off the pillion seat
and bolted the Givi plate to it. Not pictured here, but I Zip Tied it to the fender to minimize bouncing.

It's more compact and looks better (probably a tad better cornering too now that it is tied down) but the
OEM rack method gives me room between the Corbin backrest and top box to carry more.

This tank bag has a built-in Camelback water pouch and drinking tube.

And no, we are not pissing into the ocean (especially the gal in the center)!

100_0062.JPG

Back