Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

Funny how we remember siting on 140km/hr along outback roads in the 70s & 80s but if you cruise at that now the group disappears astern. Aka RDU Gwydir run
Yep different road conditions, traffic, unknown roads and no speed limits even on the main highways back then in the NT and no coppers to patrol remote outback roads EXCEPT WA highway patrol use light aircrAFT EVEN ON REMOTE BLACKTOP AREAS BE WARNED. i WAS NEVER DONE BUT TO OTHERS WERE.

Each May our group do a trip usually 2-3,000 km we always plan to only run on bitumen but usually we hit a few small patches of dirt not more than 20km in any stretch which is not a problem on the Rocket - It can get a bit exciting when it's wet.. Our next trip in May is from Brisbane to Lightening Ridge, Burke and Cunnamulla should be a blast not too many cops out on those back roads will be different for me two up this time.

Some great responses thanks keep them coming
Still thinking about using the Rocket .I have the time to do Mods just need my brain to work some days

Put a Shad SH 58 on the Rocket Today Very Pleased with the case can throw 2 Helmets and Jackets when
expanded. Talk the guy into giving me the display mount which made it easy to fit just put Nutserts in the rack and took off the sissy bar. Think I will put some adjustable slides underneath so I can adjust it to fit
my Wife and also my Grandson. Will prob get a custom back rest when or if I get the seat customised.

The SH58 was like rocking horse **** to find as the distributor is out of stock I found one in Brissy
and the only other one was in Canberra on display .
upload_2020-1-31_21-54-48.jpeg

I'm happy that the trip worked out.

Buying a second hand bike more suitable to the road conditions and optionally selling it later seems sensible.

If you're sticking with the R3R here are some other things to consider for touring:

1. Do you really need the extra power?
I did my intake/exhaust mods just before taking a 25 day 9,800 mile trip.
Pipes, filters, Power Commander and custom tune were around US$2,300.
The drop in MPG cost me over US$150 in gas. I love the increased performance but it could have waited.

2. Your 2012 is 8 years old so unless you've been doing all the maintenance it may be time to go through the checklist and do all the checks and all renewal items (plugs, radiator flush, brake fluid renewal, diff etc.).

3. I love my throttle rockers (wrist rests to take some strain off forearms). I don't ride without them.

4. I like my Throttlemeister manual throttle lock on my old bike but the Go-Cruise 2 poor-man's-cruise-control works fine and was cheaper.

5. Kuryakyn or other ergonomic grips are a must.

6. Look at seat upgrade and/or cushion. I use an AirHawk air mattress on long trips - Available for pillion too.

7. Improve the horn. I use Denali Soundbombs on mine but there are other options to replace/augment the sissy one.

8. Improve rear visibility. I almost got squished by a truck last October so will be working on mine. LEDs...

9. Suspension is key as per recommendations on your other thread.

10. Windshield - it looks like you have the small one like mine. I'm getting too old to take the beatings!!

11. Did your Roadster come with the luggage rack?
If not you can get one if you want to do a similar mod to avoid buying or making brackets for a top box.

On my R3R I removed the OEM backrest and bolted a Givi e251 mounting plate to the rack and use a Givi E460 Top Case with a back rest and small rack. It locks into the mounting plate and can be taken off easily.

IMG_2522.JPG
"Kuryakyn or other ergonomic grips are a must"
Do you happen to know the part no: for the grips

Last edited:
I have a Indian Springfield that I have been doing my long hauls on. I had a 06 Rocket 3 some time ago. Turned out I was the third owner. It had a lot of factory bugs PLUS some installed by previous owner . When I had it running it was great. A real joy to ride. The bugs got to the CPU. Rather put it back together and pass them along I parted it out. A lot of the parts went down to Aussi land.
I rejoined this forum because the R3 ride left a good enough impression for me to consider another one. I have to have the tourer because of a artificial leg . That does not mean I am going to give up the Indian. Kinda like having a wife and mistress . You can love both.
I too get the downs. Spent a couple of years in Vietnam. When I feel things building up , a day on the bike does a great job of flushing out my head. We have a Combat Vets club in my town. They have similar stories.
Now that I have taken you through the back 40 acres. I started riding in 1961. Some lessons I have learned the hard way. First >>don't over think a trip. If you could take the trips before then you can do it now with what you got. Second >> add up the cost of what you want to put on the bike. Then figure that is money you will not get back. How long will you keep the bike. How many miles do you have on the bike . Some where around 25 to 30K Miles you can expect to start needing to replace parts . Shocks, fork springs, starter. ect. Third >> how much can you really get for your bike if you traded it in , or sold it. If you are planning on a real long haul you might be better off looking at a newer bike wit a warranty. It does not have to be a Indian or Triumph , but rather a bike you a are comfortable riding.
The main thing is to GO. You will only come this way once , and it is better to have stories to tell than having to say I wish I had. I am 75 , my wife is 72 who has a Indian with sidecar . If all goes well we are hoping to put on about 20K miles this up coming season. BTW I do 90 plus % of my own wrenching. My motorcycles help me stop the world and get off for awhile. Good Luck my friend.

"Kuryakyn or other ergonomic grips are a must"
Do you happen to know the part no: for the grips

Kuryakyn ISO Grips Pair For Honda Triumph Gloss Black 6337 (chrome =6236)
SKU: TR-419727
$73.79

Optional wrist rests aka throttle rockers. You can buy a cheap velcro set for $10 but these are rock solid...

Kuryakyn Contoured ISO-Throttle Boss Left Side Universal 6309
SKU: TR-419070
$29.20 each side

Kuryakyn 6299 Premium ISO Contoured Throttle Boss Motorcycle Handlebar Grip Accessory: Universal Fit, Right Side Only, Chrome, Pack of 1

Optional end weights - may help reduce vibration in bars & mirrors. Not sure I notice any difference:

Kuryakyn 6339 Motorcycle Handlebar Accessory: Hand Grip End Cap Weight, Gloss Black, 1 Pair
$36

manual cruise control devices that attach to the bar end will not work with this setup so I went with this and it does the job:
go-cruise-2-aluminum-motorcycle-throttle-lock.jpg

Go Cruise Universal/Black
Item# GC-A1bk $32.95 USD 1 $32.95 USD

Much cheaper than a 'real' CC system.

Last edited:
There are grips that I have been using for years on a lot of different bikes. Price not bad. Will last me a yeart of heavy riding. Great for people with larger hands. Eliminates the handlebar buzz. Suggest you call to get the measurements he needs.
Welcome

I have a Indian Springfield that I have been doing my long hauls on. I had a 06 Rocket 3 some time ago. Turned out I was the third owner. It had a lot of factory bugs PLUS some installed by previous owner . When I had it running it was great. A real joy to ride. The bugs got to the CPU. Rather put it back together and pass them along I parted it out. A lot of the parts went down to Aussi land.
I rejoined this forum because the R3 ride left a good enough impression for me to consider another one. I have to have the tourer because of a artificial leg . That does not mean I am going to give up the Indian. Kinda like having a wife and mistress . You can love both.
I too get the downs. Spent a couple of years in Vietnam. When I feel things building up , a day on the bike does a great job of flushing out my head. We have a Combat Vets club in my town. They have similar stories.
Now that I have taken you through the back 40 acres. I started riding in 1961. Some lessons I have learned the hard way. First >>don't over think a trip. If you could take the trips before then you can do it now with what you got. Second >> add up the cost of what you want to put on the bike. Then figure that is money you will not get back. How long will you keep the bike. How many miles do you have on the bike . Some where around 25 to 30K Miles you can expect to start needing to replace parts . Shocks, fork springs, starter. ect. Third >> how much can you really get for your bike if you traded it in , or sold it. If you are planning on a real long haul you might be better off looking at a newer bike wit a warranty. It does not have to be a Indian or Triumph , but rather a bike you a are comfortable riding.
The main thing is to GO. You will only come this way once , and it is better to have stories to tell than having to say I wish I had. I am 75 , my wife is 72 who has a Indian with sidecar . If all goes well we are hoping to put on about 20K miles this up coming season. BTW I do 90 plus % of my own wrenching. My motorcycles help me stop the world and get off for awhile. Good Luck my friend.
Thanks Mick wise words there.

when I was in hospital and many of the groups there Is always a vet or 2
My Son is also a Vet

take Care

Back